The Student Room Group

Parents behaving odd

So, I am a third year Chemist, changing my career to audit ( to earn more money ).
My Parents behave really weird and keep telling me that why change career? if you are the best chemist, you will earn big money... why do you apply for jobs? if you are as good in chemistry companies will fight for the young brain to hire it for big money. I am keep telling them that I am not that smart. They say that Einstein was the best scientist because he simply worked hard. You are not the best because you are lazy.

I have 2 jobs on top of the degree ( to make me stand out ). My parents say: Jobs waste your time... you should utilize that time to learn!

I am also criticized that I don't learn more. My parents told me why I am not learning coding languages ( because in their opp university is the easiest time of your life when you have plenty of free time ).

My step dad has 4 Phd degrees in subjects like engineering and physics. He got these degrees while working as an invest banker. His IQ is 168.

My mum also tells everyone I am an alcoholic ( because I drunk a can of cider at christmas )... I am forced to dress up what my parents think I should wear... I can drink red bulls, cant have alcohol ( I do when i am away ).

Also, they laugh when I say that I have ADHD of Dyspraxia ( because these things are still not really recognized back in my country ) ... they say that an employer will fire you if he sees that on your CV....

They never listen to me, never want to take the world as it is.

Also my Step Dad trully thinks that BOJO is a great politician

Also I was banned from doing an Industrial Placement ( because working is bad... you should be studying ... just like in our country )
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by skyangelbro
So, I am a third year Chemist, changing my career to audit ( to earn more money ).

My step dad has 4 Phd degrees in subjects like engineering and physics. He got these degrees while working as an invest banker. His IQ is 168.

Well, IB got nothing to do with phys or engineering lol :colonhash:
Reply 2
You poor soul. Your M&D have such a strong work ethic and they clearly care so much about you that you should make the right choices. It is true that science degrees open a huge amount of doors. It takes a lot of courage to go against your parents. Is there someone you can talk all this through with at subject level to see what impact your decisions will have further down the line and talk to someone at welfare dept at Uni to help you get some perspective on everything? Money is important but it is probs far more important to enjoy the subject you study. Hope this helps?
Reply 3
Weird post
Your parents sound clueless and controlling, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM

I’ve seen parents ruin my friends career paths and totally confuse their direction they ended up lost and stuck in something they hate

If you need advice or consulting speak to your unis careers team
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by summerbirdreads
Well, IB got nothing to do with phys or engineering lol :colonhash:

If you did 4 PhDs part-time that would take about 25 years, if you were an investment banker then 'part-time' would be a hilarious joke
Original post by Sinnoh
If you did 4 PhDs part-time that would take about 25 years, if you were an investment banker then 'part-time' would be a hilarious joke

You thinking what I'm thinking? troll? :colonhash:
Original post by Sinnoh

he studied until his 40s
As ever, the views aired by parents in relation to jobs are disconnected from reality and may have been true 30 years ago, different century, different jobs market.
Original post by skyangelbro
he studied until his 40s

Sure! what uni? Oxbridge? Camford?
Original post by summerbirdreads
Sure! what uni? Oxbridge? Camford?

not this country

Quick Reply

Latest