The Student Room Group

When Caesar wept

Julius Caesar once was reading about Alexander the Great when suddenly, he burst into tears. His friends asked him why, and he replied “Do you not think, it is matter for sorrow that while Alexander, at my age, was already king of so many peoples, I have as yet achieved no brilliant success?"

Was there ever a moment in your life like this?
Reply 1
Everyday. Doesn't help that I'm a lazy and undisciplined person by nature :frown:

Do you have any aspirations?
Original post by wifd149
Everyday. Doesn't help that I'm a lazy and undisciplined person by nature :frown:

Do you have any aspirations?

Of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Rex Invictus
Of course.

Nice, no pressure to share them of course. I don't have any that is up to the standards of Alexander the Great nor Julius Caesar; they are on a whole different league than normal folks like I.
Original post by wifd149
Nice, no pressure to share them of course. I don't have any that is up to the standards of Alexander the Great nor Julius Caesar; they are on a whole different league than normal folks like I.

I think that the aspirations of such men are derived from their lineage and upbringing. If you look to Alexander he was groomed to be great from infancy by Philip and perhaps more crucially by his tutor Aristotle. Caesar did the same to Augustus, bringing him on campaigns whilst still a teenager. We live in a world where things such as that simply no longer exist and so it is difficult for us to envisage the same success. There is also another key differentiator between the modern man and the figures I just mentioned; their capacity, and need, for brutality. Had these men not enacted brutality that today would be considered completely wrong they likely would have been killed, especially Augustus.
Reply 5
Original post by Rex Invictus
I think that the aspirations of such men are derived from their lineage and upbringing. If you look to Alexander he was groomed to be great from infancy by Philip and perhaps more crucially by his tutor Aristotle. Caesar did the same to Augustus, bringing him on campaigns whilst still a teenager. We live in a world where things such as that simply no longer exist and so it is difficult for us to envisage the same success. There is also another key differentiator between the modern man and the figures I just mentioned; their capacity, and need, for brutality. Had these men not enacted brutality that today would be considered completely wrong they likely would have been killed, especially Augustus.

True, true mate :yep:
No, I haven't had any moments where I've lamented not being a king yet. :tongue:
Original post by Rufus The Red
No, I haven't had any moments where I've lamented not being a king yet. :tongue:

Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_II_of_England
i still hope one day to conquer Asia Minor and subdue the tribes of Thrace :angry:
Reply 9
Not really. I've long since got past comparing meself to anyone else. Not bothered with it for the better part of 20 years
The great achievement is that i want to be a slave master like caesar or alexander the great
Original post by jack456789
The great achievement is that i want to be a slave master like caesar or alexander the great

“Through every generation of the human race there has been a constant war, a war with fear. Those who have the courage to conquer it are made free and those who are conquered by it are made to suffer until they have the courage to defeat it, or death takes them.”

Alexander the Great
Reply 12
The modern version of this is FOMO.
Original post by Cote1
The modern version of this is FOMO.

I thought that it's to be a multi-billionaire or multi-millionaire with the intense amount of 'entrepreneurial motivational speakers' going around now (e.g. Gary Vee, "if you don't know the answer, confuse them") :crazy:

Quick Reply

Latest