tijt21
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am currently in my final year of university and I know I enjoy teaching and helping other people. I think I want to teach secondary English, but I am worried as while I have experience working with teenagers and delivering content, it is to small groups and not a classroom of 30. I also don't have experience teaching in a classroom.

I've spoken to some teachers and they all recommend getting experience in a classroom or being older before you go into teaching. I am not sure what to do. I don't want to apply for a PGCE or Teach First if i'm not 100% about the career, but i dont think i will anything as fulfilling and accessible to me.

I am also quite put off by the dropout rate for qualified teachers and how it seems to be an all-consuming job rather than a 9-5. Any advice? I would appreciate hearing from anyone in a similar position, current teachers or PGCE/ Teach First students
Ash1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
This website will help: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

position, current teachers or PGCE/ Teach First students- I'm not one of these but wanted to share my thoughts as I did intend on going into teaching and secured a place on a PGCE course however decided it was not right for me.

but I am worried as while I have experience working with teenagers and delivering content, it is to small groups and not a classroom of 30. I also don't have experience teaching in a classroom - that's still some experience so don't put yourself down. Most work experience and like myself I just sat behind the class and wasn't even remotely involved with the learning. It's how you make sure during the University interviews for the teaching courses you come across. Just contact the secondary schools once they reopen ofcourse subject to what the govt announce and get some work experience based on your University timetable that could be going in every afternoon or maybe for a week or two weeks. Most Universities will specify how many weeks you need.

I've spoken to some teachers and they all recommend getting experience in a classroom or being older before you go into teaching. Yes get some more work experience in a secondary school. But I don't agree about being older before you go into teaching. You go into teaching when you feel ready and if you are ready now then go for it. There's been many I know who have done the PGCE straight after undergrad which would make them either 22/23. So don't worry about age.

I am also quite put off by the dropout rate for qualified teachers and how it seems to be an all-consuming job rather than a 9-5 - I'm afraid everyone knows the teaching job is not a 9-5 and you need to get comfortable with that. No one can sugar coat it to say it's not a 9-5 or it gets easy after NQT. The drop out rate again is down to individual teachers. You can't say you'll experience the same as another trainee teacher. Your experience and how much you can endure will be different.

I don't want to apply for a PGCE or Teach First if i'm not 100% about the career, but i dont think i will anything as fulfilling and accessible to me. Right is there anything you are 99% or 100% about, such as another career or somewhere else you might want to work for say 1/2 years then you can apply for Teaching after. You don't always need to do a PGCE straight after an undergrad.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tijt21)
I am currently in my final year of university and I know I enjoy teaching and helping other people. I think I want to teach secondary English, but I am worried as while I have experience working with teenagers and delivering content, it is to small groups and not a classroom of 30. I also don't have experience teaching in a classroom.

I've spoken to some teachers and they all recommend getting experience in a classroom or being older before you go into teaching. I am not sure what to do. I don't want to apply for a PGCE or Teach First if i'm not 100% about the career, but i dont think i will anything as fulfilling and accessible to me.

I am also quite put off by the dropout rate for qualified teachers and how it seems to be an all-consuming job rather than a 9-5. Any advice? I would appreciate hearing from anyone in a similar position, current teachers or PGCE/ Teach First students
Just to give some perspective, I'm in my third year as a fully qualified teacher, having got into it straight after uni. So far, I'm happy with how things are going and haven't really had any serious thoughts about leaving teaching.

I do think it's important that if you're coming into teaching immediately after university, you get some proper experience in schools so you can be sure it's for you. The Get Into Teaching people are good at helping people arrange school experience, and it is really valuable to do this. You don't need experience teaching in a classroom - you'll get that in your training year - but it's useful just to witness what the current environment in secondary school classrooms is.

In terms of the dropout rate, I do know lots of people who I trained with that are no longer teaching. Many of them just found the pressure to be too much, and in most cases this was made worse by unsupportive leadership at the school. Particularly those with STEM degrees realised they could get a job that paid the same or more with (seemingly) less stress.

In terms of workload, it definitely is more than 9 - 5 early on. I do think looking back that during my training year and the first half of my NQT year, I was pretty much consumed by my work. I still managed to have other hobbies, but I did have to neglect some hobbies in favour of giving myself more time to just relax because I was so exhausted from planning and marking etc. For me, the workload is significantly reduced now for a few reasons:
- My department provides a lot of shared resources which reduces planning
- My school has a very reasonable marking policy - I am not expected to mark books or homework, which saves a good deal of time
- I have naturally become a lot faster at planning, and can use resources that I made in previous years
Notice how two of the reasons are just due to working at a school with reasonable policies and a supportive department!! I think in that way, it can be quite hard to know how things will end up. I know lots of my friends who I trained with find workload a much bigger issue than I do, which isn't really down to their own efficiency and is more to do with the fact that they have lots more to mark and lots more to plan from scratch.

Lots of people do say it's important to try a different job before getting into teaching, or it's important to make sure you take at least a year to travel and do what you want and "live your life". Which I do get, but equally I kind of knew that I didn't need that going in - I don't like travelling, and I knew for sure that I wanted a job with a very rigid routine and short term rather than long-term deadlines. I think you have to weigh up for yourself whether in the future you will regret not doing those things.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tijt21)

Hi tijt21,
Indeed I would strongly advise you to get some school experience before you decide to apply. It will ascertain this is the right career path for you and it would also give you the opportunity to shadow teachers so you can see for yourself what the workload is really like.
As suggested in the previous posts, I would encourage you to register asap to our Get into Teaching teacher training adviser service. This is a free service. You will be assigned your own teaching adviser who will answer your questions, explore your teacher training options, help you gain some school experience and if you were to decide to apply, they would support you through the application/ interview process. All our advisers are qualified and experienced teachers.
I hope this helps.
Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads