The Student Room Group

Covid and writing the assignments

Hi

I have got a covid during Christmas and it was really bad. Well, I still have not recovered. Cough, fever, no energy, zero concentration. I am so behind on my all assignments and I'm freaking out. Do you think uni can help me somehow? I have no idea how I will manage due to covid. Lying in my bed with a 39degrees fever and not able to write or learn anything.

I am afraid that I will fail.

Any advice?
Have you told anyone at your uni about this? At least then they would know of your situation, and might be able to put things in place to help you with your learning and get that backlog done to try and avoid it getting any longer. Also, how long have you had COVID for? - like have you already finished your isolation period, or are you only mid-way through it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I have got a covid during Christmas and it was really bad. Well, I still have not recovered. Cough, fever, no energy, zero concentration. I am so behind on my all assignments and I'm freaking out. Do you think uni can help me somehow? I have no idea how I will manage due to covid. Lying in my bed with a 39degrees fever and not able to write or learn anything.

I am afraid that I will fail.

Any advice?

Hi Anonymous

Have a look on your University website, they will no doubt have some way of informing them that you have covid. There will also be a system in place where you can get extensions, here at Hull we can get an extension for a few days, or with more serious issues for a couple of months, but I guess every place is different.

Also speak to your personal tutor / AST. They should be able to advise you as well. Don't worry, these systems are in place to help us when things happen, it is not a bad thing to use the systems that are in place.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Hi

I have already finished isolation a few days ago but I still have symptoms of covid. Trying to write the assignments to submit anything but it will be bad. I will try to contact the university tomorrow. I have already told them that I have covid but nobody from the department contacted me. The worse part is that I also have exams from next week and I am not prepared at all. I have so big brain fog that I cried last night.
Hi

I have already finished isolation a few days ago but I still have symptoms of covid. Trying to write the assignments to submit anything but it will be bad. I will try to contact the university tomorrow. I have already told them that I have covid but nobody from the department contacted me. The worse part is that I also have exams from next week and I am not prepared at all. I have so big brain fog that I cried last night.

It's ok to cry, don't worry about that bit. I was just thinking because you sounded like you really are still not great with it whether it might be worth phoning NHS 111 or 119, or trying to contact your GP or something? Cause do you still have quite a few of the symptoms other than those that you can leave isolation with (ie. loss / change to taste and / or smell, cough etc.)? I think the rules still say that you have to continue to isolate if you have any other symptoms other than the loss / change one and cough, or generally if you still feel rubbish. I hope you feel better soon.
https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/the-rules-on-leaving-self-isolation-if-you-still-test-positive-after-10-days-3511486
Reply 5
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi Anonymous

Have a look on your University website, they will no doubt have some way of informing them that you have covid. There will also be a system in place where you can get extensions, here at Hull we can get an extension for a few days, or with more serious issues for a couple of months, but I guess every place is different.

Also speak to your personal tutor / AST. They should be able to advise you as well. Don't worry, these systems are in place to help us when things happen, it is not a bad thing to use the systems that are in place.

Good luck

Chris

Hi

Just to update what I heard from my university: " Well, it takes you a long time to recover from covid" with a suspicious voice.
I felt horrible after hearing it. I have all the medical documentation. My doctor said it can take up to 12 weeks for me to recover and I don't suppose to worry, but I am. How I can manage at uni? To be honest, I was thinking uni will be better prepared to help students during the pandemic.
Hi

Just to update what I heard from my university: " Well, it takes you a long time to recover from covid" with a suspicious voice.
I felt horrible after hearing it. I have all the medical documentation. My doctor said it can take up to 12 weeks for me to recover and I don't suppose to worry, but I am. How I can manage at uni? To be honest, I was thinking uni will be better prepared to help students during the pandemic.

Hi Anonymous,

I think it is a shame that happened, certainly here at Hull they seem to be much more supportive.

If you have the documentation as you say, then I don't see how the University can refuse your request for mitigation. This should mean your assignment deadlines and examination deadlines are shifted by a considerable amount, but as I said every University is different.

If you think you are being unfairly treated, speak to the Student Union that is what we pay them for (or at least one of the things we pay them for!)

Good luck

Chris
Reply 7
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi Anonymous,

I think it is a shame that happened, certainly here at Hull they seem to be much more supportive.

If you have the documentation as you say, then I don't see how the University can refuse your request for mitigation. This should mean your assignment deadlines and examination deadlines are shifted by a considerable amount, but as I said every University is different.

If you think you are being unfairly treated, speak to the Student Union that is what we pay them for (or at least one of the things we pay them for!)

Good luck

Chris

Hi

They have not rejected the request for mitigation yet, but the conversation was very weird. Maybe they have a lot of students pretending to be sick? But to be honest, a lot of people are sick these days.
But good to know that Student Union could help.
I will wait for the response from uni. Just I hope they won't cap it at 40% :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest