Is uni my only option if i want to become a primary school teacher

Watch
Alanacg.xo
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Are there any other ways of getting to become a teacher, other than uni??
currently doing an apprenticeship in early years (in a reception class in a primary school) and i’ve decided i want to teach, but unsure as to what my options are
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Alanacg.xo)
currently doing an apprenticeship in early years (in a reception class in a primary school) and i’ve decided i want to teach, but unsure as to what my options are
In order to become a teacher, you do need a degree. An undergraduate degree is prerequisite for QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).

You don't have to do a degree in Education - you can do any degree and then top it up with a one year teacher training course. However, if you know you want to teach, it is probably most sensible to do a Primary Teaching with QTS degree, as it will take less time overall (3 years).

If you don't want to do a degree, there are other career paths where you can still work in the classroom. For example, you could become a TA and work towards becoming a HLTA - this would allow you to take on more responsibility, like preparing and delivering lessons, however you would not have the full responsibilities of a teacher and would be paid less.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

As mentioned above you do need a degree in order to be a teacher - alongside GCSEs in Maths, English and Science (at a 4/C or above). You do not have to do a degree in education but studying a Primary Ed degree will give you further opportunities to undertake placements and become more confident before entering the career. On my degree we look at child development, SEN, the curriuclum etc. and placements are inbuilt too. My degree does not include QTS and therefore I am completing a PGCE next year which provides me with the QTS needed as well as 60 credits at Masters level.

It's definitely a rewarding career from what I have experienced so far but to give you a bit more of an insight into what a Primary Ed degree looks like, I've added a link at the bottom to my course. Hopefully you'll find yourself in a slightly more informed positon.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Mel

Link: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/cours.../?term=2022-23
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hello Alanacg.xo

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and a good start to the New Year!

You do need to complete a degree to become a teacher. It is great that you are undertaking an apprenticeship in early years, as this will aid your application to apply to University, if you decide to do so, as you will have great experience!

At Liverpool Hope University, we offer two types of Primary Education degrees (3-7 and 5-11). Though, as you are trained specifically in the Early Years, you may be attracted more to the 3-7 course. If so, you can read details of which here. Teaching course are blended between in-person teaching & workshops and placements, to ensure you are fully equipped for the profession by the end of the degree.

The above link may be a good starting point for you to have an awareness of how teaching courses typically operate, and it may be good to familiarize yourself with entry requirements for these types of courses. At a generic level, applicants are expected to, amongst Level 3 qualifications (i.e. BTEC), carry GCSE Grade C or above in English, Mathematics and Science.

I hope this helps. If there is anything you are unsure about, or if you have any further questions, please do let me know!

Dylan :bird:
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi Alanacg.xo,
There are many ways to train to become a teacher, you can go through a university or you can train through the school based route. As stated in previous replies, you need a degree and GCSE maths, English and Science ( Science for primary only), grade C/4. I would suggest that you register to get a personal adviser with Get into Teaching. This is a free service. Our advisers, who are all experienced teacher, will be able to help you to work out which option is best for you. We offer impartial advice.
I hope this helps.
Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads