In Dubai what is the benefits system like?

Watch this thread
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If you lose your job in United Arab Emirates or you are unemployed, how does the benefits system work? Do you have to be a UAE citizen or have lived in UAE for a certain length of time? Is there an obligation to find work like the UK benefits system?
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 4 months ago
Summer Bird
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Dubai is a city in UAE..
jetlagged
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
the one thing you do not want to do in the UAE is have a debt you can't pay. Unlike the UK where debt is a civil matter, in the UAE it's a criminal matter. So if you were to become unemployed and have commitments like rent and credit cards then you could be in a lot of trouble. According to Detained in Dubai "There are Indian labourers who have been in jail for over a decade for debts as little as £1000. They have no hope of ever getting out of prison, barring the occasional intervention of an altruistic business man."
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
If you lose your job in United Arab Emirates or you are unemployed, how does the benefits system work? Do you have to be a UAE citizen or have lived in UAE for a certain length of time? Is there an obligation to find work like the UK benefits system?
If you are thinking of depending on the welfare state, stay in the UK. The Middle East don't have.a strong welfare system for foreigners, as far as I am aware. Citizens of their countries benefit more,
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Well theyre not going to give a random foreigner access to their benefit system..
Their welfare system is, to ones knowledge, excellent.. as opne would expect with a rich country like that. However, unless youre a national of the UAE youre not going to be given access to it. From what youve said you dont even have a work visa there do you?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I won’t be surprised if you get deported but don’t take my word for it.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
i didn't think they had one. if you can't support yourself then they send you back home. They expect you to have a job.
careerzooom
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It is called the 'Unemployment Aid Benefit', and it is available to first-time jobseekers. It is payable for a maximum period of six months. The monthly Aid Benefit amount is currently BD150 for those who hold a university degree and BD120 otherwise. The Aid Benefit is paid for up to six months.

Unemployment benefit is payable only to UAE nationals. If you intend to move to Dubai in order to search for a job, or your employer terminates your contract of employment, you will be obliged to support yourself.
meymey:)
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
The welfare system is amazing but only available to UAE nationals. As far as I know its extremely hard to get a citizenship (practically impossible) unless you were born into it or marry a national. Regardless, of however many years you have lived the there you wouldnt get any benefits so you would have to provide for yourself if you lose your job.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by meymey:))
The welfare system is amazing but only available to UAE nationals. As far as I know its extremely hard to get a citizenship (practically impossible) unless you were born into it or marry a national. Regardless, of however many years you have lived the there you wouldnt get any benefits so you would have to provide for yourself if you lose your job.
Oh I didn't know that they had a welfare system. How is it amazing?
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Report 2 months ago
you wont be eligible for their government benefits if u r not a citizen.

But people and gov will treat u like a king if u r white.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JAckieee.chan)
you wont be eligible for their government benefits if u r not a citizen.

But people and gov will treat u like a king if u r white.
Oh I am jus amaazed they have a welfare system.
meymey:)
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
Oh I didn't know that they had a welfare system. How is it amazing?
Schools and university is free for UAE nationals otherwise schooling can be quite expensive in Dubai. Also, they have free medical (which is of a very high standard) and there are unemployment benefits and the like (similar to Western countries) I also know there is a marriage grant that couples recieve. Theres more details on the internet if you're interested.
Also, perhaps the reason you were unaware of the benefit system is that unlike the UK recieving citizenship is extremely hard so only Emiratis recieve the benefits therefore, its not as widespread or well known.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
18.88%
The paper was reasonable (106)
37.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
29.02%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
15.03%

Watched Threads