The Student Room Group

A level chemistry- dilema

Hi,

So I spent two days revising periodicity and then I went to go on to do practice questions from the textbook. I tried answering them but I dint even know how to answer the first question. It was like nothing I learnt was coming up. I used the cgp book to gain my knowledge on the whole topic of periodicity and then I went on to do questions from the textbook. It was so confusing. I don't know what to do now as I just hit a dead end and i have other things to revise for and i cant just be stuck o perodicty
Original post by Markvokin
Hi,

So I spent two days revising periodicity and then I went to go on to do practice questions from the textbook. I tried answering them but I dint even know how to answer the first question. It was like nothing I learnt was coming up. I used the cgp book to gain my knowledge on the whole topic of periodicity and then I went on to do questions from the textbook. It was so confusing. I don't know what to do now as I just hit a dead end and i have other things to revise for and i cant just be stuck o perodicty

What was the question? Why did you find it hard?
It likely isn't a lack of understanding of the topic as a whole, just some minor confusion. Textbook revision can only go so far as to teach you the content, applying that to an exam question requires just as much time to learn, so don't feel bad about it.
Look at the mark scheme to try and figure out what you were being asked and how the question wanted you to use what you know to solve a problem. The examiners can only really do this in a handful of ways per topic, so once you've seen them all, you'll no longer be phased. Encountering a certain style of question for the first time can be challenging though, so use the chance you have now to go through all the answers to any exam questions you do to understand exactly how to tackle each one. It's alright if you're stuck now, as long as you ensure by the 10th time around you can do that type of problem with your eyes closed, knowing precisely what marking points you need to target, how long your answer should be, and what relevant key words / phrases you must include.

Quick Reply

Latest