Need advice. Want to get into software engineering

Watch this thread
Absurd f
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, so I’ve got a unrelated science degree, but I’ve decided I want to be a software engineer. For this I’m planning to spend a lot of time doing online courses, and my own projects, whilst persuading a conversion masters. I’ve got two masters in mind. One is at queen Mary for computing and information systems the other is msc computer science. The main question I have is that if there is a huge diffeneve when it comes to credibility between computer science and computing with information systems. Will my prospects be the same with both types of courses
snowhawk
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Absurd f)
Hi, so I’ve got a unrelated science degree, but I’ve decided I want to be a software engineer. For this I’m planning to spend a lot of time doing online courses, and my own projects, whilst persuading a conversion masters. I’ve got two masters in mind. One is at queen Mary for computing and information systems the other is msc computer science. The main question I have is that if there is a huge diffeneve when it comes to credibility between computer science and computing with information systems. Will my prospects be the same with both types of courses
Things like Computing or CIT/ICT are seen as more "vocational" degrees, aimed at landing you a job.
CS is more theoretical (not so say it doesn't have vocational parts too) about the science of computing.

It shouldn't matter too much if you want a job, but anecdotally CS seems to have a bit more marketability vs Computing/CIT/CIS/ICT.

What I will say is if you have any notion of doing a PhD, which is possible with a conversion course, CS is generally the preferred Bachelors or Masters for a potential CS PhD student.
Absurd f
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by snowhawk)
Things like Computing or CIT/ICT are seen as more "vocational" degrees, aimed at landing you a job.
CS is more theoretical (not so say it doesn't have vocational parts too) about the science of computing.

It shouldn't matter too much if you want a job, but anecdotally CS seems to have a bit more marketability vs Computing/CIT/CIS/ICT.

What I will say is if you have any notion of doing a PhD, which is possible with a conversion course, CS is generally the preferred Bachelors or Masters for a potential CS PhD student.
If computing is aimed at landing a job, wouldn’t it make sense to choose that over computer science
snowhawk
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Absurd f)
If computing is aimed at landing a job, wouldn’t it make sense to choose that over computer science
Honestly it really won't matter that much. In the UK many Computing and CS degrees are pretty much the same degrees for the 1st year or 2nd year.
Honestly your placement year is the single biggest thing you can do to land a job. A CS degree with a good placement year is better than just a Computing degree by itself.

Pretty much all universities in London have decent to excellent placement programs. You should pick a degree with a placement year is the most important thing you can do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
20.39%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
11.65%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (7)
6.8%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
16.5%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
22.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
22.33%

Watched Threads