The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

never had steak
I've had a steak pie at school but never a slab of steak
Original post by Anonymous
It tends to be chewy if it's rare/medium rare though...? 🧐

Any good steak places that you recommend? Or if you have any criteria/tips on those places?

I think it's chewier if it's well done:colonhash:
I usually cook steaks myself because it's cheaper.

You two really can eat rare meat huh

It's not that bad
I think it's chewier if it's well done:colonhash:
I usually cook steaks myself because it's cheaper.

It's not that bad

Interesting, interesting :emo:
I need to try cooking Angus meat or barbecuing it when I get the chance :dance:

@Mesopotamian. Medium well or medium rare steak fillet/meat? I like them medium well, but Sal and ukii can take it rare :beard:
Original post by AmIReallyHere
never had steak

Original post by AmIReallyHere
I've had a steak pie at school but never a slab of steak

You need to try them whenever you get the chance to. I've been at places where they were bad at meat, so you might want to do your research beforehand :excited:
@0ptics @sufys12 Medium well or medium rare (or whatnot) for a steak fillet/meat?
Original post by wifd149
Interesting, interesting :emo:
I need to try cooking Angus meat or barbecuing it when I get the chance :dance:

@Mesopotamian. Medium well or medium rare steak fillet/meat? I like them medium well, but Sal and ukii can take it rare :beard:

I'm just a broke boi who buys regular tesco steaks to cook myself on special occasions. Make sure that the steak is sizzling when you put it on a pan (ie. heat the pan up on the highest heat setting) and let a crust form then add some butter, garlic and thyme until it feels like it's medium rare.
Yeah but don't you need special grills and stuff for barbecues?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6206456
The 7 people who voted well done should be banned from having steaks
I'm just a broke boi who buys regular tesco steaks to cook myself on special occasions. Make sure that the steak is sizzling when you put it on a pan (ie. heat the pan up on the highest heat setting) and let a crust form then add some butter, garlic and thyme until it feels like it's medium rare.
Yeah but don't you need special grills and stuff for barbecues?

I normally compensate my broke-uni-student-ness by going vegan or vegetarian when I have to :ashamed2: I never cooked red meat on my own before, so thanks for the tip mate.

I want to blackmail one of my mates to bring me for a Scotland road trip in the summer so we will see. I want that to happen though :woo: I've heard some of my friends having BBQs there so I want to try it outttt.

I've got BBQ equipment at home though, but I will be moving out in Feb :curious:
You two really can eat rare meat huh

What can i say - - I'm a meat eater :lala:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6206456
The 7 people who voted well done should be banned from having steaks

Even well-done is too sad for a steak fillet/T-bone cut for me :bawling:
Original post by ukii
What can i say - - I'm a meat eater :lala:

My grandma (the other side of the fam) can't really eat anything outside of dim sum, some sushi, so whenever we go out it's mostly a steak/meat place with her.

Any meat things you like mate? 🤔
I normally compensate my broke-uni-student-ness by going vegan or vegetarian when I have to :ashamed2: I never cooked red meat on my own before, so thanks for the tip mate.

I want to blackmail one of my mates to bring me for a Scotland road trip in the summer so we will see. I want that to happen though :woo: I've heard some of my friends having BBQs there so I want to try it outttt.

I've got BBQ equipment at home though, but I will be moving out in Feb :curious:

I compensate for my brokeness by not drinking alcohol, I would never go vegetarian.
What are the laws around blackmailing?
I compensate for my brokeness by not drinking alcohol, I would never go vegetarian.
What are the laws around blackmailing?

Yeah, drinking is a bloody expensive endeavour - one bottle of spiced rum is like £25; not to mention that cocktails can go up to £7 a drink for something so little in alcohol :colonhash: (except Long Island Iced Tea, that one is some concoction). There's nothing much to gain from drinking, I think, aside from *****y hangovers or something.

:innocent:... If they don't know how to seek justice...
Original post by wifd149
My grandma (the other side of the fam) can't really eat anything outside of dim sum, some sushi, so whenever we go out it's mostly a steak/meat place with her.

Any meat things you like mate? 🤔

Oh i see, nice that you go out with your grandma every so often

Yes... Any meat things, as long as its Halal, I'll begin and dig in :poker:
Original post by ukii
Oh i see, nice that you go out with your grandma every so often

Yes... Any meat things, as long as its Halal, I'll begin and dig in :poker:

I used to go out with her often when I was younger and in my teen years, since she does live with my fam.

There's a lot of Halal places with good meat, steakhouses and burgers/lamb. I tend to go for kebabs as a reward since they're often real good (and seasoned) at a cheap price :biggrin: Yeah, I can find many other meat places that tastes like **** at the same price :emo:
Original post by wifd149
I used to go out with her often when I was younger and in my teen years, since she does live with my fam.

There's a lot of Halal places with good meat, steakhouses and burgers/lamb. I tend to go for kebabs as a reward since they're often real good (and seasoned) at a cheap price :biggrin: Yeah, I can find many other meat places that tastes like **** at the same price :emo:

There's a bit of everything in the world, it's just about finding the right thing for you :lol:
Original post by ukii
There's a bit of everything in the world, it's just about finding the right thing for you :lol:

True, true :yes:

I'm the kind that's quite particular with meat, it must be good - otherwise I'd much rather eat vegan/vegetarian meals :colonhash:
Original post by wifd149
:innocent: Interesting, interesting.

I once ordered rare steak fillet with my older 'step' sibling, and we ended up not finishing the steak - her mum whacked the life out of us because we were at this expensive place to celebrate my momentary freedom from home :rofl:

Oh god good sir, I hope you are unhurt!
Oh god good sir, I hope you are unhurt!

What can I say? Parental/elderly superiority is a hallmark of Asian households, @hungrysalamander and (sadly banned) @summerbirdreads can vouch for that :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending