Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What do I need to prepare for before start of uni
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
If you're staying at home and commuting:
- How are you getting there? Have you done a practice drive/bus trip/train trip/walk, including in rush hour, so you know you can get there in time?
- have you got all stationery/laptop sorted?

If you're moving into student accommodation:
- have you reserved accommodation for firm and insurance choice?
- get everything sorted for moving in, including bedding (you'll only get a bed frame and mattress) and kitchen stuff (pots, pans, cutlery, crockery)
- sort stationery/laptop

Have a look at societies at your chosen university.
Textbooks and reading lists... don't bother about this until you're enrolled, have chosen optional modules and have access to reading lists and the university library. I have 2 undergrad degrees and have not long finished a master's module and didn't have to buy a single book - everything was available via the uni library in hard copy or eBook form.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
There's an article about this on TSR - I'll find it
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...sity-checklist
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Emily_B)
If you're staying at home and commuting:
- How are you getting there? Have you done a practice drive/bus trip/train trip/walk, including in rush hour, so you know you can get there in time?
- have you got all stationery/laptop sorted?

If you're moving into student accommodation:
- have you reserved accommodation for firm and insurance choice?
- get everything sorted for moving in, including bedding (you'll only get a bed frame and mattress) and kitchen stuff (pots, pans, cutlery, crockery)
- sort stationery/laptop

Have a look at societies at your chosen university.
Textbooks and reading lists... don't bother about this until you're enrolled, have chosen optional modules and have access to reading lists and the university library. I have 2 undergrad degrees and have not long finished a master's module and didn't have to buy a single book - everything was available via the uni library in hard copy or eBook form.
Thank you, yeah I will be moving in. also I don’t rlly want to live with 17th or 18th year olds, I’m slightly older haha. So would I be able to task to out with people my age ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you, yeah I will be moving in. also I don’t rlly want to live with 17th or 18th year olds, I’m slightly older haha. So would I be able to task to out with people my age ?
I meant would I be able to ring up and ask if I could be put with people my age when it comes to accommodation
Anonymous #1
Thank you ❤️
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I'm not sure if accommodations place people via age, but you could ring up and ask. A lot of people in student accommodations will be 18-20, not many 17yr olds I wouldn't think. If this is a big thing for you, and the accommodation team can't arrange a flat with older students you could move into a studio, or look on the freshers page of your university and post/look for if older students have posted about needing someone to move into a room for a house.

For advice about what to prepare for the start of uni, once you find out who you will be living with, create a group chat so you can decide who brings what i.e. the kettle, toaster, ironing board etc (some accommodations provide these, but some don't, so make sure to check what your accommodation does and does not have). Sometimes you get flatmates who party a lot in the accommodation, so some form of ear plug is also a good idea to bring. Bring shopping bags as well if you want to save a little bit of money! You will however get a lot of tote bags at freshers freebie events!

It's good to bring a diary, and when you get your timetable, to write all of these into it (I like to colour code it by different modules). Bring multiple notebooks/folders, use a different one for each module, and it makes keeping organised and writing assignments/revising for exams a lot easier, bring post it notes and highlighters, as well as flash cards/revision cards. The cards are really helpful for if you need to present a presentation or revise.

You should also get a student bank card, find ones with perks that you like. Personally I like Santander for this, you get a free 16-25yr railcard, if you're an older student you can also get this, there's just an extra form to fill in. You could also sign up for a NUS card which gets you a lot of discounts and sign up for Unidays.

Hope this helps!

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Last edited by hallamstudents; 2 weeks ago
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I meant would I be able to ring up and ask if I could be put with people my age when it comes to accommodation
How old are you? I never came across anyone younger than 18 at uni, and in halls there were people older than that too (including a 25 year old). Yes you can ask but that depends in what availability the accommodation has.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
What do I need to prepare for before start of uni
If your living Halls:
Fill-in your accommodation form and pay anything like a security deposit.
Get all the tech you need like a lap top (everybody needs one of those.
Get some bedding (like sheets but buy the bulky stuff there).
Make sure your have some pens pencils folders papers stuff like that.
Get a good bag for uni days you'll need one
Try and build some funds for uni.
Get some fancy dresss tuff for them nights and a suit for the black tie events if you want to go to those.
Check out the SU web site for societies that might interest you ut don't sign up for any thing until the freshers fair

If your commuting
Make sure you have the laptop.
pens pencils paper folders.
A good bag for uni.
also have you don any dry runs yet you'll want to do at least 1 between now and February choose a cold wet day (Idea being you know what your in for when the weather is bad) make sure you know your route in and how long it takes you to get to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (137)
25.9%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.32%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed