glasgow or leeds uni?

Watch this thread
spammbo
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i want to study either sociology or english literature, and im torn between glasgow and leeds.

distance-wise, both of them are fine, and as far as ive seen they're both pretty good for sociology and english lit

on the one hand, leeds is a lot closer to a specific medical service that isn't as available in glasgow, and i like that it's a three-year course so if i did need to take a year out to do with said medical thing it wouldn't have as much of an impact

on the other hand, ive absolutely loved scotland every time ive been there and apparently it's a lot less tory than england, plus one of my friends is thinking of going to glasgow, and i've already been talking to a person who works there about accommodations for the medical thing

if anyone has any advice or suggestions that would be super helpful =D i don't need to apply until next year (im in year 12) so tbh im probably stressing over nothing lmao
Last edited by spammbo; 4 months ago
qas1232
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hi! I'm sorry I dont have any suggestions for you but you may be able to help me with a sociology question. I am in year 10 rn and we are going to do our first essay. We got the question to prepare for, I am not sure how you would answer it though.
"Discuss how far sociologists agree that the family has an important function in society. (12 marks)"
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by spammbo)
i want to study either sociology or english literature, and im torn between glasgow and leeds.

distance-wise, both of them are fine, and as far as ive seen they're both pretty good for sociology and english lit

on the one hand, leeds is a lot closer to a specific medical service that isn't as available in glasgow, and i like that it's a three-year course so if i did need to take a year out to do with said medical thing it wouldn't have as much of an impact

on the other hand, ive absolutely loved scotland every time ive been there and apparently it's a lot less tory than england, plus one of my friends is thinking of going to glasgow, and i've already been talking to a person who works there about accommodations for the medical thing

if anyone has any advice or suggestions that would be super helpful =D i don't need to apply until next year (im in year 12) so tbh im probably stressing over nothing lmao
Your first step is to identify the course you want to do, but ofc it is early days since you are only in year 12. I think it would be very useful for you to attend Open Days in the Summer or Autumn (hope they are running!) so you can get a good feel for both places and attend uni subject talks for both English & Sociology.
spammbo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by qas1232)
Hi! I'm sorry I dont have any suggestions for you but you may be able to help me with a sociology question. I am in year 10 rn and we are going to do our first essay. We got the question to prepare for, I am not sure how you would answer it though.
"Discuss how far sociologists agree that the family has an important function in society. (12 marks)"
hey, so i didnt actually do sociology gcse, only a-level, but from the sound of it you'll want to look at a side that agrees, and a side that disagrees, and do one or two arguments for each (for example functionalists for one side, and postmodernists or radical feminists for the other side), so that way you have a balanced argument. i dont know exactly how many paragraphs to do for that level of question, but maybe 3? and i would structure them PEEL (make your Point, Explain it, give Evidence such as a statistic or a sociologist, and Link it back to the question)

eg. Functionalists would agree with this statement, arguing that the family provides many roles in creating a functioning society and is therefore necessary and important. For example, Murdock argues that the family is defined as two adults of both sexes in a romantic relationship, and that this prevents sexual deviancy and chaos in society. Therefore, the functionalist view is that the family has a very important function in society. and then provide a disagreeing point that follows a similar rough structure

you might want to do a more detailed paragraph than that, i dont know how much is expected at gcse, but i hope that helped with the general structure of the question =)
qas1232
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by spammbo)
hey, so i didnt actually do sociology gcse, only a-level, but from the sound of it you'll want to look at a side that agrees, and a side that disagrees, and do one or two arguments for each (for example functionalists for one side, and postmodernists or radical feminists for the other side), so that way you have a balanced argument. i dont know exactly how many paragraphs to do for that level of question, but maybe 3? and i would structure them PEEL (make your Point, Explain it, give Evidence such as a statistic or a sociologist, and Link it back to the question)

eg. Functionalists would agree with this statement, arguing that the family provides many roles in creating a functioning society and is therefore necessary and important. For example, Murdock argues that the family is defined as two adults of both sexes in a romantic relationship, and that this prevents sexual deviancy and chaos in society. Therefore, the functionalist view is that the family has a very important function in society. and then provide a disagreeing point that follows a similar rough structure

you might want to do a more detailed paragraph than that, i dont know how much is expected at gcse, but i hope that helped with the general structure of the question =)
that was definitely what I needed! Thank you, I'm sorry I forgot to reply before, I think I didn't do too bad!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (6)
13.04%
Quite well (21)
45.65%
Not so good (12)
26.09%
Terrible! (7)
15.22%

Watched Threads