University of Law or BPP? better campus? better job prospects 2022?

Watch
xbaby
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I was hoping to study the masters conversion course in law with preparation for the solicitors qualifying exam 1 this september 2022.
Which uni is better? University of Law or BPP? in terms of these categories:

-better ways of assesments (easier exams)- ?
-campus?
-links with law firms?
-teaching?
-support for students with learning differences and disabilities?

When applying these two were the only available for this specific course i am quite confused are these the only two law schools which do the MA law conversion with SQE1 prep
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 minutes ago
(Original post by xbaby)
Hello, I was hoping to study the masters conversion course in law with preparation for the solicitors qualifying exam 1 this september 2022.
Which uni is better? University of Law or BPP? in terms of these categories:

-better ways of assesments (easier exams)- ?
-campus?
-links with law firms?
-teaching?
-support for students with learning differences and disabilities?

When applying these two were the only available for this specific course i am quite confused are these the only two law schools which do the MA law conversion with SQE1 prep
Hi xbaby

I can only talk about my experience with University of Law as I have not studied at BPP but I'm sure someone from BPP will comment on here too.

I studied the MA Law with ULaw (not the SQE version as that was not available when I started it in 2019). I did my course online which ended up being really handy due to the pandemic. They use a system called Elite for structuring the course and materials that you get and this is used for the on campus courses too. It means all the materials that you need are online and organised into the weeks that you need them.

I had both on campus exams and online exams (due to the pandemic). The exams are not easy but you wouldn't go into law expecting them to be. I liked their structure though- exams at the end of every module (one per module) so you don't have all of them in one assessment period but rather spread over several periods- helps with revision. Check the course program/handbook for those details of your particular course.

ULaw have very good links with law firms. They have an excellent employability service which has lots of talks, workshops and networking events. You can also book in sessions with the careers advisors and they will help with CV and application development, interview techniques and assessment day strategies. You should have a look at the firms you are interested in too- if you check out the solicitor profiles you will find people who have qualified through ULaw, which you can then connect to through ULaw as many offer mentoring through the university. There are also lots of volunteering opportunities so you can build up legal experience- this varies from campus to campus but there are also online opportunities.

I have personally found the tutors great. If you make sure you connect with them, they put the effort in with you. If you don't make the effort to speak with them, they won't know you need support if and when you do.

ULaw have a specific disability support service if you declare your disability. There are extra sessions you can access, plus time and material adjustments available. They can also help with applications for further support. Make the most of the service if you need it- they had some very inspirational lawyers give talks this year and you don't realise the support that is out there until you hear about it.

I liked my experience with ULaw so much that I have gone onto the Bar Practice Course with them now and am on campus in London. It's also why I decided to become a student ambassador.

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (46)
12.23%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (7)
1.86%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (94)
25%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (34)
9.04%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (181)
48.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.72%

Watched Threads