psychology a level 12 mark question on 2 studies

Watch this thread
asdfdsffg
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
so with this question:

Describe and evaluate animal studies of attachment (12 marks)

I need to talk about 2 studies, so for example, both Lorenz and Harlow but I was wondering how I would structure this to be able to write it in 15 minutes in the exam which is how long you have for a 12 marker.

like do I need to do one paragraph each on Lorenz and Harlow outlining their studies and then do a paragraph on a strength and weakness for each of them?? but that comes to 6 paragraphs which I can't do in 15 minutes so how do I structure it??

also if describe is 6 marks and evaluate is 6 marks and there are 2 studies then:

Lorenz outline = 3 marks
Harlow outline = 3 marks

Lorenz evaluation = 3 marks
Harlow evaluation = 3 marks

so how much would I need to write for each to keep it concise to be able to write in 15 minutes but keep in all the key information about the studies such as aim, procedure, findings and conclusion and then the evaluations?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by asdfdsffg; 5 months ago
sophiesharp765
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
I'd recommend thee paragraphs; 1 on lorenz + short evaluation, 1 on harlow + short evaluation then one further paragraph with more in depth evaluation comparing them.

For example:

1:
Outline Lorenz study

evaluate:
+ research support for imprinting : Guiton (imprinted on yellow gloves = no predisposition to attach to humans).

- Not generalisable to humans - evolutionary adaptive value for geese

2) HARLOW - OUTLINE
Low internal validity - lacks ecological validity

Innate drives for monkeys, humans free will (perhaps)

Ethical issues - lack of informed consent

real world applications = kangaroo mother care

3) compare and contrast the two

eg Both studies show that bonding with a primary care giver during the critical period has long term effects on future behaviour

however, harlow = importance of comfort and emotional attachment to primary caregiver
Lorenz = importance of only a moving object (no emotional comfort)

Hope that helps !
asdfdsffg
Rep:
hi thank you so much!!

by short evaluation do you mean one sentence with just the point or like a PEEL because that’s what I’ve been taught in school?

thanks again
Last edited by asdfdsffg; 5 months ago
sophiesharp765
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by asdfdsffg)
hi thank you so much!!

by short evaluation do you mean one sentence with just the point or like a PEEL because that’s what I’ve been taught in school?

thanks again
yes, PEEL. A few lines of evaluation. But make sure to outline the studies as well.
asdfdsffg
Rep:
okay thank you so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
29.58%
As I expected (22)
30.99%
Harder (25)
35.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads