The Student Room Group

If I am applying to one uni, should I mention it in the PS?

Hey there!

If I am applying to one university through its own website, not UCAS, should I mention its name or anything about the university in the personal statement?
or should the personal statement only include reasonings for the major chosen?

Thx
(edited 2 years ago)
If you're applying directly to a single university, it would seem odd to me not to say why you want to go there.

If you want to do a "major" you are applying to the wrong country. That's a US term. In the UK there aren't majors and minors and it isn't just wording, you apply for a particular degree course. I know this is only a forum and it's only a word, but it won't reflect well on your application if it looks as if you've done zero research on UK degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by skylark2
If you're applying directly to a single university, it would seem odd to me not to say why you want to go there.

If you want to do a "major" you are applying to the wrong country. That's a US term. In the UK there aren't majors and minors and it isn't just wording, you apply for a particular degree course. I know this is only a forum and it's only a word, but it won't reflect well on your application if it looks as if you've done zero research on UK degrees.

Oops, my bad..
I am an international student, so that's why.

Anyways, thank you!
@OtakuGate yes if you are applying just for one university then I would write in your personal statement why that university, why that city, why that particular course. It will show you have done your research and show your passion for attending. In interviews, often one of the questions is 'why this university or specific course' so it would be good to write about in your personal statement, as it is something they will be looking for.

In your personal statement refer applying to the 'course or 'degree' no minors or majors here. It's okay, if I was applying to America I would have no idea what a minor or major meant (I'm guessing you're in America!) and would definitely use that wrong when writing about it. So, just double check some words that might be said differently here in England.

You also want to be selling yourself to the university, so don't only write about why you are interested in the course, but also why they should choose you over others. so write about transferable skills you have and evidence this with examples. You can also talk about why you decided to go to university in another country and what skills you have that would make this a smooth transition.

Here are some more tips: https://www.studyin-uk.com/study-guide/top-ten-personal-statement-tips-international-students/ ; https://www.applytouni.com/applying/personal-statements/personal-statements-for-international-students/ ; https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/how-write-personal-statement-uk-university

I hope you find this helpful, and best of luck in your application!

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
If this is a UK university then they’re forbidden by their contract with ucas to admit you directly if you have a ucas application.

You can’t use direct applications as a way to get “extra” choices on top of ucas. Direct applications are an alternative to ucas not an additional choice (unless you’re applying to courses that aren’t eligible for ucas applications)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending