Mariaaa78
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys, I just wanted a bit of a rant and some advice. I graduated in June 2021.

I’d always planned to do a PGCE after university but I originally wanted to have a year where I gained some more experience and learnt to drive but also went travelling and just experiencing life. At the time, travelling was pretty much off the table and my supervisor at uni encouraged me to do my PGCE straight away because of the current climate, so I applied late April.

I’m 21 and I just feel so burn out already. My first class was a year 5 class with a reputation for being hard to handle. Although I loved the teaching side of it, I’ve found myself so overwhelmed with all the marking, planning and bad behaviour - on top of all the SCITT work and university assignments. I feel like I’m really trying so hard but it’s not good enough. The SCITT I’m with only got their new online system working at the end of October so I constantly feel like I’ve got a backlog of things to do.

I’m just wondering would taking a year out after my PGCE really hinder my chances of securing an ECT job? A lot of people have mentioned how I should go straight into it otherwise I’ll miss my chance kind of thing. But at the same time I feel like I just need time to grow. Other teachers constantly comment on how young I am etc. and it makes me feel like I went into it too early straight out uni.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mariaaa78)
Hi guys, I just wanted a bit of a rant and some advice. I graduated in June 2021.

I’d always planned to do a PGCE after university but I originally wanted to have a year where I gained some more experience and learnt to drive but also went travelling and just experiencing life. At the time, travelling was pretty much off the table and my supervisor at uni encouraged me to do my PGCE straight away because of the current climate, so I applied late April.

I’m 21 and I just feel so burn out already. My first class was a year 5 class with a reputation for being hard to handle. Although I loved the teaching side of it, I’ve found myself so overwhelmed with all the marking, planning and bad behaviour - on top of all the SCITT work and university assignments. I feel like I’m really trying so hard but it’s not good enough. The SCITT I’m with only got their new online system working at the end of October so I constantly feel like I’ve got a backlog of things to do.

I’m just wondering would taking a year out after my PGCE really hinder my chances of securing an ECT job? A lot of people have mentioned how I should go straight into it otherwise I’ll miss my chance kind of thing. But at the same time I feel like I just need time to grow. Other teachers constantly comment on how young I am etc. and it makes me feel like I went into it too early straight out uni.
Yes, taking a year out could well get in the way of finding an ECT job when you decide to come back. I know there have been quite a few people this year struggling to find an ECT job, and having a year out will likely make you even less competitive. From the perspective of somebody interviewing you, it just makes sense to go for a candidate who has more recent experience in schools, especially if they have lots of qualified candidates.

That being said, you know what's best for your mental health, and if you truly don't want to start a full-time teaching job right after your training year, that's up to you. It might just mean that if/when you do come back to teaching, you might have to spend a while doing supply before you apply for a full-time role, just so you can demonstrate that you have recent experience in schools.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mariaaa78)

A disorganised SCITT is the issue here - not you. Why didn't you opt for a uni-based option?

Ask for a different class - you shouldn't be with a difficult class anyway ... you can't learn to teach properly otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads