The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im sorry my friend but you have very low ambitions. You need to aim higher in life. 600k a week is pretty much poverty in my area
Think it depends on age, but age agnostic probs £150k where it starts in terms of salary.

Definitely wouldn’t class £50k as successful
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Finance324
What salary can be classed successful? I think 50k is pretty successful

Success is subjective and for one person 50k would be pretty good whereas for another 25k would be decent. Also 50k means nothing if you live in London as all prices are higher there and the average salary in London is around 40k-50k. It depends on the circumstances.

Also you shouldn't base your success on money alone.
Original post by Gidray
Also 50k means nothing if you live in London as all prices are higher there and the average salary in London is around 40k-50k. It depends on the circumstances.

This is just a tad hyperbolic. Some people on this site act like unless you own a solid gold toilet, you’d be living on the streets in London. It’s bad, but it’s not that bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Gidray
Success is subjective and for one person 50k would be pretty good whereas for another 25k would be decent. Also 50k means nothing if you live in London as all prices are higher there and the average salary in London is around 40k-50k. It depends on the circumstances.

The median is about 31k in London. So 50k would be much higher than the median. If 50k is nothing in London, that means most londoners are living with little to nothing... Does not sounds right?
Original post by Gidray

Average salary in london is about 40-50k? Where? Knightsbridge?
Reply 7
Original post by Mesopotamian.
This is just a tad hyperbolic. Some people on this site act like unless you own a solid gold toilet, you’d be living on the streets in London. It’s bad, but it’s not that bad.

I dont understand people who say things such as 50k being nothing. Even in london thats above the 70th percentile
Reply 8
Original post by Little pecker
Think it depends on age, but age agnostic probs £150k where it starts in terms of starts in terms of salary?

Definitely wouldn’t class £50k as successful

150k is alot of money. What industry are you planning on working in?
150k is alot of money. What industry are you planning on working in?

I doubt they mean graduate tbh. I don't think you can even make that in a hedge fund as a graduate
Reply 10
Original post by anonymous #5000
I doubt they mean graduate tbh. I don't think you can even make that in a hedge fund as a graduate

I mean i know for a fact it is possible to make this at places such as investment banks, law firms FAANG companies ect. However to say 150k is where a salary starts to get good, is extremely ambitious.
Reply 11
The median is about 31k in London. So 50k would be much higher than the median. If 50k is nothing in London, that means most londoners are living with little to nothing... Does not sounds right?

Last time I checked the average salary was 40k, maybe you need to check again. My brother earns 50k in London and it doesn't mean much trust me. The reason why salaries are higher in London is because of higher prices and everything is more expensive. You must be confusing London with UK. The average salary in UK is around 31k as you've said. In London, this is significantly higher.
I mean i know for a fact it is possible to make this at places such as investment banks, law firms FAANG companies ect. However to say 150k is where a salary starts to get good, is extremely ambitious.

I meant successful not good, I’m not quite sure what you were expecting. If you are wondering what figure makes you think ‘wow they make a lot of money’ when they walk into a room, imo that starts at £150k.
(edited 2 years ago)
Success isn't measured by salary. Doing so is an automatic fail.

What, you thought everyone had the same definition of success or something?

"I dont understand people who say things such as 50k being nothing."

I'm afraid they're laughing at you.
I used to think money was a measure of success & I do have financial goals, but their was a point in my early twenties finding fulfilment & enjoyment are better markers of success then just the bottom dollar.

It obviously has a huge impact on quality of life but what have you accomplished is a better measure then how much you made doing it.
Reply 15
Original post by Gidray
Last time I checked the average salary was 40k, maybe you need to check again. My brother earns 50k in London and it doesn't mean much trust me. The reason why salaries are higher in London is because of higher prices and everything is more expensive. You must be confusing London with UK. The average salary in UK is around 31k as you've said. In London, this is significantly higher.

An average salary and a median salary are two different things. The average is scewed by a small minority of people earning wayyyyy to much, such as big 4 partners. the median is more accurate to determine the average persons salary, which stands at 31k. If you are talking about city if london, then the median is probably higher, but london is huge going from zone 1-6
Reply 16
An average salary and a median salary are two different things. The average is scewed by a small minority of people earning wayyyyy to much, such as big 4 partners. the median is more accurate to determine the average persons salary, which stands at 31k. If you are talking about city if london, then the median is probably higher, but london is huge going from zone 1-6

My brother doesn't live in the city of London and earns 50k a year. Also the median is still 40k. Check again. I am not necessarily talking about the mean. I have just read that the median in London is 39.7k which rounds to 40k and the median in the UK is 31k. It is the same, even if we're talking about the median.
Reply 17
Original post by mnot
I used to think money was a measure of success & I do have financial goals, but their was a point in my early twenties finding fulfilment & enjoyment are better markers of success then just the bottom dollar.

It obviously has a huge impact on quality of life but what have you accomplished is a better measure then how much you made doing it.

I agree with you. Im asking what a successful salary would be, not a successful person.
Reply 18
Original post by Gidray
My brother doesn't live in the city of London and earns 50k a year. Also the median is still 40k. Check again. I am not necessarily talking about the mean. I have just read that the median in London is 39.7k which rounds to 40k and the median in the UK is 31k. It is the same, even if we're talking about the median.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/londons-richest-boroughs-average-income-18114728
Check this article out. It states that although the average is above 40k the median is less than 30.
(edited 2 years ago)
Money is a tool. Not a measure of success.

If you have enough money (among other things/tools) to do what you want in life then that is one form of success.

Latest

Trending

Trending