bloodyqueenstark
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey everyone.

I’m doing an EPQ that’s based around infections and I’m aiming for A/A*.
I’ve heard a lot of people saying that if you are aiming for those grades you need to paraphrase what you have read and not just copy and past. But the problem is that all the information I have is already very factual without any descriptions. For this reason I’m finding it very hard to shorten what is already pure information.
I wanted to ask whether it would be okay just to copy the information down and reference the source.
My supervisor has also said that any text that has been copied directly from the website has to be written in speech marks in terms of referencing.
Would that mean I would have to include most of my essay in speech marks?

It would be really great if anyone could help.TIA
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Personally, I don't think it would look good if you quote too much. If aiming for a high grade you need to make sure you have high level analysis and don't just relate too many facts. If you do copy and paste, and it sounds like you will certainly have to, make sure you quote and attribute it. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Cote1; 4 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Useful online course about doing an EPQ - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success/19
Flors
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bloodyqueenstark)
Hey everyone.

I’m doing an EPQ that’s based around infections and I’m aiming for A/A*.
I’ve heard a lot of people saying that if you are aiming for those grades you need to paraphrase what you have read and not just copy and past. But the problem is that all the information I have is already very factual without any descriptions. For this reason I’m finding it very hard to shorten what is already pure information.
I wanted to ask whether it would be okay just to copy the information down and reference the source.
My supervisor has also said that any text that has been copied directly from the website has to be written in speech marks in terms of referencing.
Would that mean I would have to include most of my essay in speech marks?

It would be really great if anyone could help.TIA
Ahh okay I had this issue when I did EPQ, I basically just sourced everything? I didn't include speech marks for most of my essay unless it was word for word. I had this issue and my supervisor just told me to source absolutely everything I could as most of EPQ really wasn't opinion based until the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (226)
42.24%
The paper was reasonable (228)
42.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
6.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise