The Student Room Group

Biology Xerophyte Question

How would you interpret this transverse photo of a xerophyte, I'm looking at it but I just cannot tell whats going on, I cant locate any of the features of a xerophyte like sunken stomata, thick cuticle, less stomata present.
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/573506-question-paper-cells-exchange-and-transport-insert.pdf
Original post by Carm15796
How would you interpret this transverse photo of a xerophyte, I'm looking at it but I just cannot tell whats going on, I cant locate any of the features of a xerophyte like sunken stomata, thick cuticle, less stomata present.
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/573506-question-paper-cells-exchange-and-transport-insert.pdf

Xerophytes have hairlike projections, can you see that. Also what shape are xerophtic leaves? Also if you can see tthe cuticle, you can say its thick as there is no comparison, same with less stomata, there is no comparison.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chris01928
Xerophytes have hairlike projections, can you see that. Also what shape are xerophtic leaves? Also if you can see tthe cuticle, you can say its thick as there is no comparison, same with less stomata, there is no comparison.

Thank you, xerophytic leaves are curved so I can definitely see that. I just couldn't make out any stomata but you're right since there's no comparison I can talk about less stomata.
Thank you, xerophytic leaves are curved so I can definitely see that. I just couldn't make out any stomata but you're right since there's no comparison I can talk about less stomata.

Screenshot_20220103-163704_Adobe Acrobat.jpgi think these are the stomata. You can see where the 2 guard cells are closed. Theyre not i sunken pits tho
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Yep they are definitely there, feel a bit stupid now, thank you for showing me!
Yep they are definitely there, feel a bit stupid now, thank you for showing me!

No problem, it gets easier with time and exposure. No need to feel stupid, its smart to know when to ask for help:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by chris01928
No problem, it gets easier with time and exposure. No need to feel stupid, its smart to know when to ask for help:smile:

Its always those microscope images that get me, but yeah you're right I am glad I asked

Quick Reply

Latest