The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Nursing adult and children's

Hi I'm new here, mature student, I have applied for both adult and children's nursing. What happens next? Interviews and offers etc? How many places are available for both fields, any information is welcome ☺️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emmamills37
Hi I'm new here, mature student, I have applied for both adult and children's nursing. What happens next? Interviews and offers etc? How many places are available for both fields, any information is welcome ☺️

If your application is good enough, you'll be invited to interview. If you interview well enough, you'll get an offer

Number of places are based upon a mix of how many the university can fit in their lecture halls and how many their local placement areas can support.

My main concern is what you've applied for. If you've applied for an integrated masters in adult & children's nursing (4 years both fields together) then there shouldn't be an issue; however if you've applied for an adult nursing course and a separate children's then this may be an issue as unis like to see your understanding of and dedication to one field rather than being undecided between two.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
If your application is good enough, you'll be invited to interview. If you interview well enough, you'll get an offer

Number of places are based upon a mix of how many the university can fit in their lecture halls and how many their local placement areas can support.

My main concern is what you've applied for. If you've applied for an integrated masters in adult & children's nursing (4 years both fields together) then there shouldn't be an issue; however if you've applied for an adult nursing course and a separate children's then this may be an issue as unis like to see your understanding of and dedication to one field rather than being undecided between two.

I applied for both undergraduate courses, both are 3 years separately, I have experience in both fields working as a HCA and having children with complex additional needs so was able to include that in my personal statement to show my skills and experience for both nursing degrees
Reply 3
I applied for both undergraduate courses, both are 3 years separately

(I know how long a nursing degree is - I have one.)

I have experience in both fields working as a HCA and having children with complex additional needs so was able to include that in my personal statement to show my skills and experience for both nursing degrees

Great that you have experience in both fields.
You now face more of a challenge: do you favour one field over the other and why are you the perfect candidate for each? Which one do you actually want to do? You're going to have to work harder to convince a university that you're the right person for one course or the other (which would be less of a challenge if you were going for a dual field integrated masters).
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
(I know how long a nursing degree is - I have one.)

Great that you have experience in both fields.
You now face more of a challenge: do you favour one field over the other and why are you the perfect candidate for each? Which one do you actually want to do? You're going to have to work harder to convince a university that you're the right person for one course or the other (which would be less of a challenge if you were going for a dual field integrated masters).

Thanks for your advice will keep these questions in mind 🙂
Original post by Emily_B

This advice is nolonger relevant. 2021 saw the nursing interview procedure change due to covid. There is only one interview (video platform on sonos) for all applicants who meet or are predicted to meet the entry requirements. Places are then offered to students from queens and ulster based on interview score. Its now a shared process and last year many people got offers for multiple nursing areas and Midwifery. The personal statement isn't even considered unless it comes down to having to choose a candidate who scored similarly in interview but places are almost full. Good luck on your decision. Last year 2021 across my cohort saw my clasate being offered Midwifery at queens adult nursing at queens and adult nursing at magee based on one interview so it's a different way now.
Reply 6
Original post by beefcurry
This advice is nolonger relevant. 2021 saw the nursing interview procedure change due to covid. There is only one interview (video platform on sonos) for all applicants who meet or are predicted to meet the entry requirements. Places are then offered to students from queens and ulster based on interview score. Its now a shared process and last year many people got offers for multiple nursing areas and Midwifery. The personal statement isn't even considered unless it comes down to having to choose a candidate who scored similarly in interview but places are almost full. Good luck on your decision. Last year 2021 across my cohort saw my clasate being offered Midwifery at queens adult nursing at queens and adult nursing at magee based on one interview so it's a different way now.

How on earth is what I said irrelevant?
Many people who apply for Midwifery and are unsuccessful get offered adult nursing as an alternative; may others apply for adult nursing as a backup to Midwifery and some of these train as nurses and then retrain as midwives. Midwifery is also significantly closer to adult nursing than child nursing, so your point about your coursemate doesn't really add up.

I've supported many potential students nurses and midwives, especially in the last year. A lot of aspirational nurses get rejected based on their application, where the bit that let them down was the personal statement not grades so please that bit of what I've said still stands. This goes alongside unis looking at the whole picture of a candidate when decisions are close.

How is my point about how spaces are limited irrelevant? Health services in and around Belfast won't have had a sudden and drastic increase in the number of students they are able to support.
Emily I wasn't haven't a go at you. I'm just saying the system has changed for all nursing applications due to covid. There is one interview for ALL aspects of nursing /Midwifery and everyone who meets the criteria or are predicted to meet it are interviewd via video and offers are made that way. If I upset you I'm sorry I'm just pointing out the way it was last year and this year that its not based on personal statement or choices.
Reply 8
Original post by beefcurry
Emily I wasn't haven't a go at you. I'm just saying the system has changed for all nursing applications due to covid. There is one interview for ALL aspects of nursing /Midwifery and everyone who meets the criteria or are predicted to meet it are interviewd via video and offers are made that way. If I upset you I'm sorry I'm just pointing out the way it was last year and this year that its not based on personal statement or choices.

I'm working off how things generally work for UK unis here, even with pandemic related changes :smile:
Yes things have changed thanks to Covid, and knowing that places are interviewing collectively is useful. It just happens that most unis do their own interviews; many have done interviews for all branches bar midwifery together for a number of years (my interviews 6 years ago were generic for all branches, as were my husband's 12 years ago) - but where the majority of places still look at personal statements before offering jnterviews for such popular courses like nursing/midwifery first even if Belfast apparently don't (even this last year - I've supported students who have been rejected from other places pre interview based on their PS).
Reply 9
I got an interview for queens and university of Ulster, they both do their interviews together, I'm very excited!!
Brilliant Emma when is your interview:smile:
End of Feb start of march they let you know a week in advance, and you were right they only look at your personal statement if your interview score is close with another applicant, it's all based on your interview score
Hi, I’ve also applied for adult nursing and midwifery, this is my second year applying and last year we got an email through on the 18th of feb to let us know we would be getting our interview through in batches for that following Monday. So I be suspect they will be out within the next week or two, best of luck!
Does anyone with a chromebook know if the mordern hire platfrom works?
Hi there!I’m applying for adult nursing! I have been told that invites for interviews could be sent out at the start of next week.
Original post by CarolynMc
Hi there!I’m applying for adult nursing! I have been told that invites for interviews could be sent out at the start of next week.

is this for queens and ulster?
Original post by eimear_c123
is this for queens and ulster?

It’s for both, it’s a joint process
Original post by Anonymous
It’s for both, it’s a joint process

so, if i have applied for both queens and ulster can i get an offer from both of them or just one of them?
Original post by eimear_c123
so, if i have applied for both queens and ulster can i get an offer from both of them or just one of them?

You will be ranked in your interview by either ulster or queens but not both, they will share you score with eachother and if your marks meet either of their criteria then you could be offered a place for both
Original post by Anonymous
You will be ranked in your interview by either ulster or queens but not both, they will share you score with eachother and if your marks meet either of their criteria then you could be offered a place for both

so can i get accepted by one and rejected by another

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending