The Student Room Group

Marrying not for love

Been thinking about marriage lately, I’m no good with relationships, don’t fall in love easily. But I want to get married soon so I can have a life partner to set up a decent life with. Wondering if it’s possible if I don’t fall in love and whether that’s ok. I’ve been in love before it doesn’t guarantee a long term life together.

Is there a way to have a convenient marriage and be quite happy even if you’re not properly in love? I feel like true love is a luxury not everyone will get. I don’t want to be alone long term and don’t care if I’m not interested in forging a high flying career, I crave security and safety above everything but don’t have a particular talent and confused about my career. Yet I don’t want to be alone for much longer.
Sounds like you'd be better off having a pet dog than marrying. You'd have a long-term partner that gives loyalty, affection, safety...everything you are looking for.
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds like you'd be better off having a pet dog than marrying. You'd have a long-term partner that gives loyalty, affection, safety...everything you are looking for.

Word.
Reply 3
Original post by 828582686989
Word.

No what about sex?
Reply 4

^ plus by partner I mean someone to build and maintain a home with, travel, have meaningful conversations
Reply 5

^ plus by partner I mean someone to build and maintain a home with, travel, have meaningful conversations. And you have the care for the dog primarily and it dies within a quarter of your lifetime max.
Sounds like you want an arranged marriage
Reply 7
Original post by gracieee16
this is immature and dumb. i didn't read this whole paragraph, i can't be bothered to read it so many times to read some bs. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO MARRY THE ONE YOU LOVE!!!!!! what's the point otherwise? you r supposed to marry someone who makes you happy, is your best friend, is there for you all the way, is someone you constantly think about, someone who makes your heart feel warm, makes you feel special, makes you smile when you see his name pop up on your screen when he or she messages you. it's supposed to be something you commit to. marriage is for the long-term and choosing the person wisely and marrying the right person will prevent the chances of divorce... 😭😭😭

Sorry but it’s not immature and dumb as for thousands of years marriage was more like this than what it is today
Sorry but it’s not immature and dumb as for thousands of years marriage was more like this than what it is today

ik i didn't read ur msg 🤣 soz i can't read hence y i deleted it before u replied.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Sounds like you want an arranged marriage

Thought of arranged marriages have always horrified me but tbh if I was match made (not forced) with someone decent think id be okay with that
I know quite a few people who got married for reasons that didn't include love.
Family tradition, believed marriage was a religious obligation, escape route from a toxic household, immigration reason, financial motive, forced marriage, hiding being homosexual, wanted to raise biological children with a spouse, to avoid being disinherited, access to a ready made family/daily source of physical protection/emotional support, trying to avoid being left alone in their old age.
Original post by londonmyst
I know quite a few people who got married for reasons that didn't include love.
Family tradition, believed marriage was a religious obligation, escape route from a toxic household, immigration reason, financial motive, forced marriage, hiding being homosexual, wanted to raise biological children with a spouse, to avoid being disinherited, access to a ready made family/daily source of physical protection/emotional support, trying to avoid being left alone in their old age.

How did those marriages turn out do you know?
How did those marriages turn out do you know?

None are divorced.
Most of the couples who were not forced and honest with each other about what they each wanted from the marriage & were offering are happy with no regrets.
Dreadful atmosphere between the couples where forced marriages occurred or at least one person only got married to escape a toxic household and was dishonest.
No what about sex?

Alright, just take your time, put yourself out there on a suitable dating app as the bare minimum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending