The Student Room Group

How to make a revision plan/timetable?

Hey, I think making a revision timetable would really help me revise but I don't actually know how to do so? How do you condense topics into sections that you can revise as I always underestimate the time it takes to revise something
Original post by username222g
Hey, I think making a revision timetable would really help me revise but I don't actually know how to do so? How do you condense topics into sections that you can revise as I always underestimate the time it takes to revise something

use the spec to do it. so for example, if I was to revise module 2.1 for biology, its a really long topic so id split it up, eg id plan I 2 hours from 11am-1pm just to learn three topic like water, monosaccharides, enzymes etc then make sure it something that is easy to accomplish within that time frame so I don't get loaded with work. I would also keep times of the day to relax eg an hour for lunch ad then moments in the week when I know I would be busy so cant revise eg I have a birthday part to attend sat morning and scl from 8-5 everyday so id cross that out. then figure out how long each task I want to revise, look at the spec point, make sure I know roughly how much time its gonna take me and put it into my timetable
Original post by sumzibadman
use the spec to do it. so for example, if I was to revise module 2.1 for biology, its a really long topic so id split it up, eg id plan I 2 hours from 11am-1pm just to learn three topic like water, monosaccharides, enzymes etc then make sure it something that is easy to accomplish within that time frame so I don't get loaded with work. I would also keep times of the day to relax eg an hour for lunch ad then moments in the week when I know I would be busy so cant revise eg I have a birthday part to attend sat morning and scl from 8-5 everyday so id cross that out. then figure out how long each task I want to revise, look at the spec point, make sure I know roughly how much time its gonna take me and put it into my timetable

Thank you for this! I'm actually doing biology also.. Do you use the points on the spec and only cover those parts when revising or do you just read the whole section from the revision guide?
When I was doing my A levels, I would use my academic planner to put a different subject in every day then, in the to do list section on the side of the day (I used the academic planner from ink outside the box), I divided up the chapters for that subject between the days that I had written that subject, so that I covered all the content and had an equal balance between all subjects (I personally find that a more rigid timetable stressed me out and made me less motivated). I also left a few days specifically for looking over content that I was less confident on
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have
Original post by SB1234567890
When I was doing my A levels, I would use my academic planner to put a different subject in every day then, in the to do list section on the side of the day (I used the academic planner from ink outside the box), I divided up the chapters for that subject between the days that I had written that subject, so that I covered all the content and had an equal balance between all subjects (I personally find that a more rigid timetable stressed me out and made me less motivated). I also left a few days specifically for looking over content that I was less confident on
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have

Thank you! So would you only do one subject per day?How did you plan what you were going to do on that day for each of the divided chapters, like would you do practice questions/flashcards etc? Also did you leave the spare days until the end or filter them throughout the time between revising and doing exams? Do you have any revision tips? I think as I didn't do any revision for gcse's due to them being cancelled, its making revising more stressful than it needs to be as I have no experience w it..
Thank you! So would you only do one subject per day?How did you plan what you were going to do on that day for each of the divided chapters, like would you do practice questions/flashcards etc? Also did you leave the spare days until the end or filter them throughout the time between revising and doing exams? Do you have any revision tips? I think as I didn't do any revision for gcse's due to them being cancelled, its making revising more stressful than it needs to be as I have no experience w it..

Yes- I find it easier to stay focused if I only have to worry about looking at one subject
This depended on how far I was with revision so if it was early then I'd finish making resources, such as quizlets, then if it was later on I would do more active recall like testing myself on the quizlet then blurting and practice exam questions (my revision methods/process were slightly different for each subject- what subjects do you take?)
I left the spare days until just before the exam period started, unless I was doing general holiday revision, in which case I left it for the last days of the holidays, and I then used the outcome of these days to determine what content to look over again on the day or morning before exams
Hope this helps
Yes- I find it easier to stay focused if I only have to worry about looking at one subject
This depended on how far I was with revision so if it was early then I'd finish making resources, such as quizlets, then if it was later on I would do more active recall like testing myself on the quizlet then blurting and practice exam questions (my revision methods/process were slightly different for each subject- what subjects do you take?)
I left the spare days until just before the exam period started, unless I was doing general holiday revision, in which case I left it for the last days of the holidays, and I then used the outcome of these days to determine what content to look over again on the day or morning before exams
Hope this helps

This is really helpful, thank you so much! I have my exams in may/June and am about to start revising now, do you think it’s too late to implement this? I take Biology, English Literature and Business
This is really helpful, thank you so much! I have my exams in may/June and am about to start revising now, do you think it’s too late to implement this? I take Biology, English Literature and Business

It may not be too late but I can't speak from experience as I was too much of a workaholic and revised as I went along from the start of year 12
I also did A level business so could give some revision tips if you'd like?
It may not be too late but I can't speak from experience as I was too much of a workaholic and revised as I went along from the start of year 12
I also did A level business so could give some revision tips if you'd like?

Ahh okay, hopefully if I start revising now it should be okay. Revision tips would be great!
For business, I used the textbook and class notes along with the specification to create powerpoints on all the content of the course. I then turned this into quizlets, with one quizlet for each chapter, which I tested myself on regularly. I also created a book of real life business examples that were mentioned either in the news, lessons or the textbook, which I could then use when practising longer questions and I could remember for the exams. Linking to this, I would highly recommend doing lots of practise questions and asking your teacher to mark them as you can see what's preventing even higher and enable continuous improvement of exam technique. I also used flash cards for memorising formulas, with one formula on each card, and I created a book full of all the different models and theorists on the course
Hope this helps
For business, I used the textbook and class notes along with the specification to create powerpoints on all the content of the course. I then turned this into quizlets, with one quizlet for each chapter, which I tested myself on regularly. I also created a book of real life business examples that were mentioned either in the news, lessons or the textbook, which I could then use when practising longer questions and I could remember for the exams. Linking to this, I would highly recommend doing lots of practise questions and asking your teacher to mark them as you can see what's preventing even higher and enable continuous improvement of exam technique. I also used flash cards for memorising formulas, with one formula on each card, and I created a book full of all the different models and theorists on the course
Hope this helps

Thanks so much, this is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest