golden_oldie
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am training to be a secondary English teacher. I am only now realising, upon picking up more classes, that I actually despise the new curriculum and feel as though I won't enjoy what I teach my students. (I did and loved the 2016 GCSE English spec for my exams).

I am considering switching from secondary to primary. However, I feel I have left this transition far too late and I am unsure if I could switch or if I would have to restart my training year. Which will be costly, money and time wise. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
To teach Primary you need to be able to teach all (13) curriculum subjects. You are only going to be teaching about 5-7 hours of English a week, the rest of the time will be on other subjects so would need to consider how much you would enjoy doing that. Also, what is it in the National Curriculum for KS1 and 2 English that you think you will like more than what is required in KS3? Do you enjoy teaching systematic synthetic phonics for example (which is a core part of primary English)?

When you despise the new curriculum I presume you actually mean the KS4 Exam spec of your placement school, as the National Curriculum for English has not changed since 2014. In which case look at the spec of different exam boards, it's possible you may enjoy another as they all interpret the KS4 NC slightly differently
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads