kabir24ali
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The professors I am taking my academic LORs from are no longer at my old uni. Can I still take their references?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kabir24ali)
The professors I am taking my academic LORs from are no longer at my old uni. Can I still take their references?
Are you applying to UK courses?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
For UK unis, yes that's fine so long as they specify where and when they taught you.
kabir24ali
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Are you applying to UK courses?
Yes
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yes
Then it's fine, but you need to a) ask the referees first and b) give their new contact details to the university. UK universities won't accept pre-written letters of recommendation, they go straight to the referee.
Pixie_Nik
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
How long ago were you at your old uni? And what are the references for?
kabir24ali
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Pixie_Nik)
How long ago were you at your old uni? And what are the references for?
Graduated in 2018. Need the references as part of my masters applications
Pixie_Nik
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Graduated in 2018. Need the references as part of my masters applications
OK - so relatively recent - but it's worth noting that professors working at a different university will no longer have access to the system where they can view all of your results and wider institutional info (which is helpful in compiling references) - and to be prepared for the possibility that unless the profs know you well, they might say that you should secure references from your old uni instead.

So definitely follow the good advice given earlier and email the profs to ask - and doing this as early as possible. Fingers crossed they'll say yes!

Worst case scenario, you can look at whether there are other members of staff working at your previous uni that had taught you and explain the situation ("my referee profs have left"), and ask for a reference - many will do this (e.g. I write a lot of references for past students to help out because their personal tutors have left in the last few years and my view is that it is part of what an institution should be doing for its graduates).

Good luck with your Master's application!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads