SpaceLover29
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to become a maths teacher. I am in 2nd year of a 4 year maths degree (a uni in Scotland, hence the longer degree).

I want to get some experience in a local secondary school some point before 4th year so meet that requirement.

Is it bad if I never have an actual job before applying to my PGCE? My parents keep wanting to me to get one but I feel like I will struggle more with my degree if I get one during term time and will just feel fed up if I get one during the summer due to spending the whole year either doing a maths degree or a boring job.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SpaceLover29)
I want to become a maths teacher. I am in 2nd year of a 4 year maths degree (a uni in Scotland, hence the longer degree).

I want to get some experience in a local secondary school some point before 4th year so meet that requirement.

Is it bad if I never have an actual job before applying to my PGCE? My parents keep wanting to me to get one but I feel like I will struggle more with my degree if I get one during term time and will just feel fed up if I get one during the summer due to spending the whole year either doing a maths degree or a boring job.
having a job is not a requirement for PGCE courses. enthusiasm for teaching and inspiring young people is far more important than experience in delivering newspapers or flipping burgers.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
having a job is not a requirement for PGCE courses. enthusiasm for teaching and inspiring young people is far more important than experience in delivering newspapers or flipping burgers.
Good to hear. I just think doing that sort of job over the summer will just make me miserable. I'm lucky enough to not need the money so I just feel it wouldn't benefit me very much,
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Good to hear. I just think doing that sort of job over the summer will just make me miserable. I'm lucky enough to not need the money so I just feel it wouldn't benefit me very much,
don't feel guilty about having your own money. just enjoy it and store up happy memories for the future.
Heather127
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the bear)
Agreed! I had a couple of unrelated jobs before applying to my teaching course, but I don't think they helped my application much. I think they're looking more for your enthusiasm for teaching - I have a couple of friends who had no prior work experience but managed to get onto a teaching course with a well-written application.

I did struggle to find a school who'd allow me to come in for work experience with no teaching qualifications - I thought this might help my application but I think most universities know that schools no longer tend to allow work experience these days anyway.

Good luck!
SpaceLover29
Rep:
(Original post by Heather127)
Agreed! I had a couple of unrelated jobs before applying to my teaching course, but I don't think they helped my application much. I think they're looking more for your enthusiasm for teaching - I have a couple of friends who had no prior work experience but managed to get onto a teaching course with a well-written application.

I did struggle to find a school who'd allow me to come in for work experience with no teaching qualifications - I thought this might help my application but I think most universities know that schools no longer tend to allow work experience these days anyway.

Good luck!
I thought unis (before covid) expected applicants to have experience in a school?

What sort of things would make a strong application (I know I can look at uni websites, but sometimes it's better to hear from actual people about this sort of stuff).
Heather127
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I thought unis (before covid) expected applicants to have experience in a school?

What sort of things would make a strong application (I know I can look at uni websites, but sometimes it's better to hear from actual people about this sort of stuff).
It definitely can't hurt, so if you're able to get some experience I'd say go for it. In my experience a lot of schools stopped allowing people to come in for work experience because a lot of people often want to do it and they already have student teachers gaining experience in schools. So I wouldn't worry too much if you're not able.

For a strong application make sure it's well-written/structured, shows your enthusiasm, and that you've done your research about what the course and teaching your subject entails - basically mention some keywords/parts of the curriculum you're interested in, and why you think you'd make a good teacher.

Hope this helps!
coco:)
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Have you considered tutoring? Online tutoring might be a good option with covid atm?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
04MR17 might be able to advise or make suggestions on preparing for a PGCE?

A lot of maths degrees have schemes where you can do an optional module as an ambassador in a school which might give you some useful experience of being in a school as a non-student (I think some might include teaching assistant work, although it might vary). So that would probably be worth exploring if your uni offers it (plus counts as a credited module on your degree so it's not "extra" on top of your degree).

There might also be similar schemes not-for-credit you can participate in through your unis outreach programmes as well more generally, although these may be less specifically relevant/useful.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
04MR17 might be able to advise or make suggestions on preparing for a PGCE?

A lot of maths degrees have schemes where you can do an optional module as an ambassador in a school which might give you some useful experience of being in a school as a non-student (I think some might include teaching assistant work, although it might vary). So that would probably be worth exploring if your uni offers it (plus counts as a credited module on your degree so it's not "extra" on top of your degree).

There might also be similar schemes not-for-credit you can participate in through your unis outreach programmes as well more generally, although these may be less specifically relevant/useful.
I know my uni definitely has a teaching module like that but isn't running at the moment (almost certainly because of Covid). Hopefully that changes in the next couple of years. I try looking at other stuff my uni might offer.

(Original post by coco:))
Have you considered tutoring? Online tutoring might be a good option with covid atm?
I have thought about it and definitely a good option at the moment due to Covid. Still not 100% sure about it though.

I know maths PGCEs are less competitive compared with other subjects but definitely still want to get a decent amount of experience. Hopefully the schools in my area are more open to people wanting experience in the next few months.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

I never had a full time job before PGCE. I had a couple of part time jobs throughout sixth form and uni and for me they were very helpful to me in a number of ways - none of them were conventional part time jobs though.

I don't have much else in the way of advice for you - apart from saying that this really isn't about what your parents keep wanting you to do. This is your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads