Chanceme- UCAS Uni Application

Watch this thread
Benji_huddson
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I will try to provide as much useful information as possible.

I am an IB student, and I am home fees. I am so close to submitting my UCAS application, however I need to finalize my choices and Personal Statement. After university, I would like a career in financial services sector or investment banking.

I received my IB results from the non-exam route May 2021 session and received a final IB score of 37 HL(6,6,5) SL(6,6,5) EE/TOK(3). I decided that I wanted to take a gap year and do a resit in the two subjects which I received a 5 in because I did not think it was the grade I deserved. Therefore, in November 2021 I took the two resits and just received those results yesterday, so now I have:

IB score:

HL Biology- 6
HL Economics- 6
HL Business Managment (resit)- 6 (1 up from Level 5)
SL Maths AI- 6
SL English Lit/Lang (resit)- 7 (2 up from Level 5)
SL Spanish abinitio- 6
EE/TOK- 3

Overall- 40 points

My GCSE results:

English Lit: 8
Maths: 7
History: 7
Economics: 6
Eng Lang: 6
Double Science: 6-5 (counts as two GCSEs)
Arabic: 4
ICT: C

Extra Curriculars:
- Two online courses regarding investment banking& entrepreneuship
- Portfolio Investing Simulation competition
- Internship at a start up company, shadowing the CFO
- Continue volunteering at Charity throughout gap year, however, in a more senior position and training and managing new sixth form volunteers
- Throughout gap year I will be taking Spanish and Mandarin language classes to improve my fluency

I have included all the listed extra curricular activites in my personal statement

So far I have currently have decided on applying to:

(The split refers to the focus on each subject in the degree and all of my choices accept SL Maths AI)

1) Uni of Edinburgh- MA Economics with Finance (75/25 split)
IB requirement:
Total 37 with HL(6,6,6)
2) St Andrews Uni- MA Financial Economics (50/50 split)
IB requirement:
Total 38 with HL(6,6,6)
3) Durham Uni- BSc Finance (100)
IB requirement:
Total 36 HL(6,6,5)
4) Uni of Manchester- BAEcon Economics and Finance (50/50 split)
IB requirement:
Total 36 HL(6,6,6)
5) Leeds Uni- Bsc Economics and Finance (50/50 split)
IB requirement:
Total 35 HL(6,6,5)

1) I would like to know what you think the likelihood of me getting accepted into the listed universities are, with all the information provided. My main concerns are:

- I took two resits and one of them was in a HL subject, however, I needed the 6 to apply to these unis and also it is stated as a resit, but I was a non-exam route student so my grade was based off of predictions in May, so the November exam is technically my first written exam.
- For Edinburgh uni, St Andrews and Manchester, I originally didn't meet the entry requirement and only after my resits I meet them which I know resit applicants are at a disadvantage due to not sitting all exams in one sitting like others
- I am applying to degrees which include economics but accept SL Maths AI in the IB, however, it is seen as the weakest level of maths even more so compared to A Level Maths, I believe this will put me at a major disadvantage and am confused how all of them are accepting the subject apparently.
Lastly, compared to other peoples posts to similar courses/ universities, my sixth form grades, gcses and extra curriculars seem weaker.

2) I am on the fence about uni of manchester, mainly because of the course being BAEcon, which means that it has more units of sociology, politics and philisophy units in it, which I am not too happy about. Therefore, I was thinking of changing that choice to Uni of Nottingham for the BSc Economics degree as I prefer the content of the course and the uni is just as good as Manchester or maybe even slightly edges it. However, the entry requirements are a total of 38 IB points, which I meet only after my resits. Furthermore, the course is solely Economics but my personal statement is split between economics and finance (which is probably leans more toward finance), would that make my application significantly weaker to Uni of Nottingham, that they wouldn't accept me or is it possible with a split like that. Is it worth changing to Uni of Nottingham if I had a lower chance of getting in (if that is true) or should I go with uni of Manchester, with lower requirements and the degree is Econ and Finance which is the split in my personal statement.

In my personal statement i tried to focus it between economics and finance, (slightly based more toward finance) as I am applying to 3 unis for Econ and Finance, 1 uni for finance and lastly 1 uni for econ with finance, however if I change uni of manchester to uni of nottingham it will be 1 uni fro fiannce and 2 unis for econ and fianance. Therefore, with that information, can you answer all of my questions and chance me?

PS I am sorry for such a long post it is just that I am quite late in applying mainly because I was waiting until the 3rd of Jan for my resit results and I also don't know the last uni to choose, so thank you sooo much to all responses.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
No-one here can tell you for certain of you will get an offer from any of these Unis so you'll just have to submit your UCAS application and hope for the best like everyone else.
Benji_huddson
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
No-one here can tell you for certain of you will get an offer from any of these Unis so you'll just have to submit your UCAS application and hope for the best like everyone else.
What about for deciding wether or not to apply to Uni of Nottingham for BSc Economics instead of Uni of Manchester for BAEcon Economics and Finance, when using a personal statement split between economics/finance, what are your thoughts?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads