The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2022/23

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kellyjk
Me, got an email today saying I’m on the waiting list though.. (I’m a graduate)

Same!
Original post by ThymeHealer
Was it your first year applying. I’m worried cause I’m a graduate I might not be a priority

Its my second time applying.. applied in 2020 (to Spain) and got a place but ended up not going because of covid
Has anybody applied for Colombia and received a CV request? In the original shortlisting email they said we would need to provide one, so I sent a follow-up email after a week or so asking if we would be told separately when we need to hand it in and they said they'd be having meetings and this would be requested "soon", but having just seen they are having difficulties sending out emails I'm worried I'll have missed the call for CVs.
Original post by Eidensito
Has anybody applied for Colombia and received a CV request? In the original shortlisting email they said we would need to provide one, so I sent a follow-up email after a week or so asking if we would be told separately when we need to hand it in and they said they'd be having meetings and this would be requested "soon", but having just seen they are having difficulties sending out emails I'm worried I'll have missed the call for CVs.

I haven’t received a CV request either
Original post by Emily Kinder
France and Spain won't find out till the 6th of May they

Original post by Something Peach
I saw the email and they said just because your application says shortlisted it doesn't mean you're actually shortlisted? What's the point in that then 😂

Hey, my portal says the same thing and I'm still waiting for news for Spain (I am graduating this year.) Been checking every 10 minutes since Friday :/ I've emailed them again this morning
Anyone else also heard that they're being recommended to Spain? They said they had trouble last week sending emails so are starting to tell people now :smile:
Reply 186
I've been put on the wait-list for Spain, I'm supposed to be a year abroad student so am now working on finding an alternative. Hope everyone else received a place though!
Original post by Skyrim
I've been put on the wait-list for Spain, I'm supposed to be a year abroad student so am now working on finding an alternative. Hope everyone else received a place though!

Hey there, I just got put on the waiting list for Spain too. Literally just made an account on here to talk about this. Kinda worried tbh as a year abroad is part of my degree (Spanish and French). Should I be worried?
Just got an email today that I have been put on the 'waiting list' for Spain. I'm very worried about this whole thing as a year abroad is a mandatory part of my languages honours degree. Would anyone here with experience in this recommend what I do next?
Reply 189
Original post by scotland.2002
Hey there, I just got put on the waiting list for Spain too. Literally just made an account on here to talk about this. Kinda worried tbh as a year abroad is part of my degree (Spanish and French). Should I be worried?

The email I received said the waiting list is relatively small this year and there are often many withdrawals. I'd still have a back-up plan of course.

I thought YA applicants were prioritised so I am quite surprised.
Yeah I see what you mean. What are you thinking of for a backup? I am thinking about doing a work placement now as a backup. Also we all had to put our 2nd and 3rd choice countries and I haven't heard anything about them yet. Mine were France and Belgium. I have emailed the British Council for more information about the 2nd and 3rd choices, hopefully they are able to fix their email situation soon.
Reply 191
Yeah I see what you mean. What are you thinking of for a backup? I am thinking about doing a work placement now as a backup. Also we all had to put our 2nd and 3rd choice countries and I haven't heard anything about them yet. Mine were France and Belgium. I have emailed the British Council for more information about the 2nd and 3rd choices, hopefully they are able to fix their email situation soon.

Looking into work placements my Uni has posted on Blackboard, for both Spain and Latin America. I'll take anything I can get at this point, so long as it pays enough to sustain me. Only issue is my proficiency in Spanish isn't high enough for many of these roles.
Original post by Skyrim
Looking into work placements my Uni has posted on Blackboard, for both Spain and Latin America. I'll take anything I can get at this point, so long as it pays enough to sustain me. Only issue is my proficiency in Spanish isn't high enough for many of these roles.

Can you still apply for universities?
Original post by Ellie_thomas
I'm also a graduate and got the email about being shortlisted. Don't worry! Plus they said on the email that even if you get waitlisted, you'll likely still get placed

Thanks. Did you do an italian based degree?

Hi - I'm in the exact same situation (waitlisted for Spain, put France & Belgium as backup) - please let me know what they say about our 2nd/3rd choices, thank you!
Original post by ThymeHealer
Thanks. Did you do an italian based degree?

Not at all. I applied for Spain and haven't got a language-based degree, graduated in 2019 but I have experience teaching English, so maybe that works in my favour?
Original post by Ellie_thomas
Not at all. I applied for Spain and haven't got a language-based degree, graduated in 2019 but I have experience teaching English, so maybe that works in my favour?

Lol lucky, thanks tho. I will definitely apply next year
Does anyone know how to apply for student finance when doing British council? I have indicated it as a paid work placement on the Erasmus/Turing scheme (as this is what my uni said to do) however i am now stuck at the question:

Will you be employed while you're studying? (excluding part time, voluntary or evening/weekends in shops etc...)

I don't know if this applies to British Council Assistantships because I was already asked when I was filling out my course details whether the placement would be paid and I said yes - so does this mean different employment?? I am extremely confused since they already know that it is a paid placement what am i supposed to say??
Original post by Loulou5563
Does anyone know how to apply for student finance when doing British council? I have indicated it as a paid work placement on the Erasmus/Turing scheme (as this is what my uni said to do) however i am now stuck at the question:

Will you be employed while you're studying? (excluding part time, voluntary or evening/weekends in shops etc...)

I don't know if this applies to British Council Assistantships because I was already asked when I was filling out my course details whether the placement would be paid and I said yes - so does this mean different employment?? I am extremely confused since they already know that it is a paid placement what am i supposed to say??

I asked my uni the same thing. They said people doing the British council assistantship would not be able to get funding via turing or erasmus scheme.
Good news people, I just got shortlisted after being told I was on the waiting list last week. The British council said they made a mistake in telling me I was on the waiting list and that people with a mandatory year abroad get priority. Keep checking your inboxes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending