The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2022/23

Scroll to see replies

Yes glad everyone got it sorted on time! What countries did everyone apply to? :smile:
Reply 41
I applied for Hong Kong! More of a pipedream than anything cuz there are only 25 places this year but we’ll see.
Original post by alliumz
I applied for Hong Kong! More of a pipedream than anything cuz there are only 25 places this year but we’ll see.

Ooh good luck! I applied to China. How can you find out how many places there are?
I applied for France :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by EllieVickers
Ooh good luck! I applied to China. How can you find out how many places there are?

good luck to u too !! china sounds really interesting :smile: it said so on the hong kong page of the ELA site (cuz last years’ applicants couldn’t go there are fewer places this year)
I think I have some good news already!

Just checked my application and under ID/Type/Stage it's saying 'shortlisted'. Hopefully that's a good sign, although I've had nothing official and I know it's early days!

Might be worth checking yours, good luck!

Peter
Reply 46
Original post by Petrakis81
I think I have some good news already!

Just checked my application and under ID/Type/Stage it's saying 'shortlisted'. Hopefully that's a good sign, although I've had nothing official and I know it's early days!

Might be worth checking yours, good luck!

Peter

You are so lucky! I keep frantically checking mine even though they told me they'd get back to us all by May.

Has anyone else applied for France? Does anyone have any inkling on if applications are likely to be higher or lower this year?
Reply 47
Original post by Verbier
You are so lucky! I keep frantically checking mine even though they told me they'd get back to us all by May.

Has anyone else applied for France? Does anyone have any inkling on if applications are likely to be higher or lower this year?

As the other user mentioned, they will probably be higher for Spain as now you don't need minimum 2 years of an undergraduate degree or equivalent, but rather just A Levels or equivalent. For France I'd reckon application numbers will be similar to last year, perhaps slightly more as the Covid situation has improved.
Reply 48
Hi Guys!Bit of a wild shot in the dark but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew what the chances are that I'll end up in my 1st choice country rather than my 2nd or 3rd choice? I've picked France as my first choice and therefore Belgium 2nd and Switzerland 3rd as they're both french speaking. I'm 27 and not a student but I already speak french fluently.
hi everyone! i'm a 4th year spanish student who never got a year abroad due to covid and so have applied to spain! (castilla la mancha, andalusia, la rioja). not expecting to hear anything for a couple of months so looking to find other people who are also waiting!
Reply 50
Original post by amberastephens
hi everyone! i'm a 4th year spanish student who never got a year abroad due to covid and so have applied to spain! (castilla la mancha, andalusia, la rioja). not expecting to hear anything for a couple of months so looking to find other people who are also waiting!

Nice, Castile-La Mancha is my second choice, after Madrid.
Reply 51
My application status has gone from ‘Awaiting initial assessment’ to ‘awaiting further assessment’. Don’t know if it’s a good sign or not (‘shortlisted’ would feel better lol). But good to know things are happening and it’s worthwhile to check the application portal every once in a while!
Reply 52
Ahh so cool! What regions are you thinking of putting as your preferences? I'm just waiting for my lecturer to submit my reference

I put Beijing, Jiangsu and Hebei! What did you put?
Reply 53
Gosh it makes me feel worried that others are hearing back so quickly! I've applied as a graduate and am 27 but i've been studying French on the side and have experience teaching - i really hope I have a chance. I even noticed on their website they've added that they're open to people applying who are looking to start a professional career in France.
Original post by alliumz
My application status has gone from ‘Awaiting initial assessment’ to ‘awaiting further assessment’. Don’t know if it’s a good sign or not (‘shortlisted’ would feel better lol). But good to know things are happening and it’s worthwhile to check the application portal every once in a while!

Mine says the same, my friends says 'Review' does anybody know the difference between them or what they mean?
Original post by zoe_587
I put Beijing, Jiangsu and Hebei! What did you put?

I put Jiangsu, Guangdong and Zhejiang. I hope you hear back soon, it would be so amazing to go!
did anyone apply for mexico? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Verbier
Gosh it makes me feel worried that others are hearing back so quickly! I've applied as a graduate and am 27 but i've been studying French on the side and have experience teaching - i really hope I have a chance. I even noticed on their website they've added that they're open to people applying who are looking to start a professional career in France.

Hiya, I'm in a similar boat - in my late twenties and applied to France. I didn't end up putting Belgium or Switzerland because of the high costs for Belgium and the need for a second pre-written reference for Switzerland, just couldn't organise in time (probably find out now that I got both of those things wrong haha). I've been learning French with private lessons for two years - I'm worried even if my application is shortlisted, they'll want to test my French and it won't be good enough!
Will let you know how things go :smile:
Reply 58
Mine says the same, my friends says 'Review' does anybody know the difference between them or what they mean?

mine says 'review' too, don't know the difference though :/
Original post by amberastephens

I'm in the same situation! I applied for Castilla y León, Castilla La Mancha and Navarra :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending