The Student Room Group

What Level For French Classes After French A-Level?

Note: I am aware that B2 is the general CEFR Level once having completed French A-Level with an A*. However, I have since taken a gap year, done a term at university and, due to COVID, essentially finished my A-Levels in March of 2020, now almost two years ago, so I think I have become a little rusty.

Given this, I was wondering what would be the best level to start French classes at at the Cambridge University Language Centre. Looking at the syllabus for the classes starting at B1 (around AS level), much of it seems familiar and relatively easy. However, due to the time gap since doing A-Level French, I am hesitant to start at B2 (the level I should theoretically be at).

I am leaning towards starting at the B1 classes, depending on when they start, but I worry I will be wasting my time / money. I also don't want to be behind when I start and have lots of catch-up work to do.
Original post by melancollege
Note: I am aware that B2 is the general CEFR Level once having completed French A-Level with an A*. However, I have since taken a gap year, done a term at university and, due to COVID, essentially finished my A-Levels in March of 2020, now almost two years ago, so I think I have become a little rusty.

Given this, I was wondering what would be the best level to start French classes at at the Cambridge University Language Centre. Looking at the syllabus for the classes starting at B1 (around AS level), much of it seems familiar and relatively easy. However, due to the time gap since doing A-Level French, I am hesitant to start at B2 (the level I should theoretically be at).

I am leaning towards starting at the B1 classes, depending on when they start, but I worry I will be wasting my time / money. I also don't want to be behind when I start and have lots of catch-up work to do.

Talk to them when you get there, the teacher can advise through a short telephone call in French.
Reply 2
Language is only acquired through comprehensible input, I would suggest spending as many hours a day as you can watching native media (without any subtitles). This is the fastest way to progress in a language. Follow this roadmap:

https://dreaming-spanish-emails.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Language_Learning_Roadmap_by_Dreaming_Spanish.pdf
Original post by threeportdrift
Talk to them when you get there, the teacher can advise through a short telephone call in French.

Thank you very much! Turns out the B2 to C1 class is only run once a year, so I may as well do the B1 to B2 class beforehand anyway to get ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest