The Student Room Group

HELP!! Covid test — positive or void

Poll

HELP!! Covid test — positive or void

Hello,
I go back to college tomorrow so I have just taken a covid test at home and am waiting for the result. I took a covid test on Sunday and it was negative. I have never had covid before.
I don’t know whether today’s result is positive or negative: I dropped some of the test liquid in not the white stock and it flowed up the stick as normal (turning purple). However, when the liquid had nearly reached the end of the stick and the Control line had formed there was also a faint T line. Can it take that quickly to form - literally under a minute?!? Idk if I’m just panicking but could the covid test be void if it was manufactured in 2021 November?

For some context, I went ice skating the Tuesday before Friday and then to the cinema a day after. I have had a cold since Friday (symptoms of sore threat and a runny nose with my head feeling a bit stuffy but no changes to my sense of smell or taste).

Thank you!!!!!!

Update: I’m self-isolating until I take a PCR test.

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’ve looked it up on the internet and there hasn’t been anything that has explicitly answered my question.
You didn’t carry out the test properly. Personally I would discount the result and do another one.

In general though a faint line =‘s positive
Take another one to be sure. The result can form quite quickly. If you’re not sure and it could be positive, isolate and book a pcr to confirm.
Original post by Cancelled Alice
You didn’t carry out the test properly. Personally I would discount the result and do another one.

In general though a faint line =‘s positive

Original post by Anonymous
Take another one to be sure. The result can form quite quickly. If you’re not sure and it could be positive, isolate and book a pcr to confirm.

Okay thank you both!!! I’ll see what other TSR users say.
Ah I forgot to mention but this is my last covid test available. I’m only in for three hours tomorrow so would it be okay to go in, collect a testing kit from college and take a test tomorrow? I would really rather not miss tomorrow if I can avoid it (without sounding selfish).
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Okay thank you both!!! I’ll see what other TSR users say.
Ah I forgot to mention but this is my last covid test available. I’m only in for three hours tomorrow so would it be okay to go in, collect a testing kit from college and take a test tomorrow? I would really rather not miss tomorrow if I can avoid it (without sounding selfish).

If there’s the chance you’re positive, do not put others in harms way by going to college. It’s inconvenient for you but it’s wrong to knowingly put others at risk.
Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this or not but I took a test literally two days earlier (when I had been ill for two days) and it was negative.
If there’s the chance you’re positive, do not put others in harms way by going to college. It’s inconvenient for you but it’s wrong to knowingly put others at risk.

Ok, thanks for your reply.
(edited 2 years ago)
Ok, thanks for your reply.

I think the advice is that even if the line is very faint, it wouldn't appear if there wasn't any of the antigens of the virus detected. The line will only form if it is detected and you have covid. So if you saw a line, I would start to self-isolate until you can get another lateral flow test, or go for a PCR. It is entirely possible that you were negative 2 days ago but positive today.
Edit: you have cold like symptoms which are very common with omicron. Get a PRC as soon as possible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this or not but I took a test literally two days earlier (when I had been ill for two days) and it was negative.

It might have been negative then but it can still take up to 5 days or more for it to show as positive, even a faint line is positive, isolate and book a PCR to be sure, once that comes back negative you can go to college if you dont have any symptoms. Don't risk going into college and infecting others. Plus with Omicron loss of taste and smell isn't as common but the other symptoms you said are.
It sounds positive to me. I would organise a PCR test and isolate whilst awaiting the results.

Original post by booklover1313
I think the advice is that even if the line is very faint, it wouldn't appear if there wasn't any of the antigens of the virus detected. The line will only form if it is detected and you have covid. So if you saw a line, I would start to self-isolate until you can get another lateral flow test, or go for a PCR. It is entirely possible that you were negative 2 days ago but positive today.
Edit: you have cold like symptoms which are very common with omicron. Get a PRC as soon as possible.

Original post by Fresher18
It might have been negative then but it can still take up to 5 days or more for it to show as positive, even a faint line is positive, isolate and book a PCR to be sure, once that comes back negative you can go to college if you dont have any symptoms. Don't risk going into college and infecting others. Plus with Omicron loss of taste and smell isn't as common but the other symptoms you said are.

Original post by black tea
It sounds positive to me. I would organise a PCR test and isolate whilst awaiting the results.

Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I’ll do that then
Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I’ll do that then

I hope you get better soon!
Original post by booklover1313
I hope you get better soon!

Aw thank you :-D
Hello,
I go back to college tomorrow so I have just taken a covid test at home and am waiting for the result. I took a covid test on Sunday and it was negative. I have never had covid before.
I don’t know whether today’s result is positive or negative: I dropped some of the test liquid in not the white stock and it flowed up the stick as normal (turning purple). However, when the liquid had nearly reached the end of the stick and the Control line had formed there was also a faint T line. Can it take that quickly to form - literally under a minute?!? Idk if I’m just panicking but could the covid test be void if it was manufactured in 2021 November?

For some context, I went ice skating the Tuesday before Friday and then to the cinema a day after. I have had a cold since Friday (symptoms of sore threat and a runny nose with my head feeling a bit stuffy but no changes to my sense of smell or taste).

Thank you!!!!!!

sounds positive. When I had covid, my T line showed up really quickly
You can collect lateral flow testing kits from pharmacies atm, maybe try and get some from there if you have none at home

i took a couple of lfts in one day as i had a family member test positive for covid and my first test in the morning was negative but my second in the evening was positive, best to isolate and get a pcr. get well soon!:smile:
Original post by eveiscool
sounds positive. When I had covid, my T line showed up really quickly

Ah okay. :smile:Thank you for letting me know - I didn’t know that the t line could show up so quickly before I made this thread!
Original post by thrivingfrog
You can collect lateral flow testing kits from pharmacies atm, maybe try and get some from there if you have none at home

Thanks for your advice. I think I’ll attend my PCR appointment and pick up lft kits once I’m back at college (they have lft kits available there).
Original post by 04zay
i took a couple of lfts in one day as i had a family member test positive for covid and my first test in the morning was negative but my second in the evening was positive, best to isolate and get a pcr. get well soon!:smile:

Alright thanks for letting me know.
Thank you!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest