BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
is it true that plasmid DNA have additional genetic information not found in the chromosomal DNA?
iqra_xoxoxoxox
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
No I don’t think so tbh we haven’t learnt it and I’m in year 11
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by iqra_xoxoxoxox)
No I don’t think so tbh we haven’t learnt it and I’m in year 11
sorry I meant that in terms of bacterial cells. It consists of both organelles of plasmid and chromosomal DNA, which I wanted to know if plasmid DNA is just there to provide additional genetic material (e.g. DNA) that chromosomal DNA does not possess?

anyone plzzzz
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
sorry I meant that in terms of bacterial cells. It consists of both organelles of plasmid and chromosomal DNA, which I wanted to know if plasmid DNA is just there to provide additional genetic material (e.g. DNA) that chromosomal DNA does not possess?

anyone plzzzz
Yes, plasmid DNA contains additional genetic material which is not found in the chromosomal DNA.
thomas.rhett
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Yes, plasmid DNA contains additional genetic material which is not found in the chromosomal DNA.
Do eukaryotic organisms have plasmid DNA? In some edexcel marks schemes plasmid DNA is considered a feature of prokaryotic cells ONLY and in some others they consider eukaryotic cells also to have circular DNA. Are there other types of DNA which is circular aside from plasmids in eukaryotic cells?

Why do examiners ask this type of questions when clearly there is no agreement among examiners/textbooks etc. from students?
Last edited by thomas.rhett; 7 months ago
iqra_xoxoxoxox
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by thomas.rhett)
Do eukaryotic organisms have plasmid DNA? In some edexcel marks schemes plasmid DNA is considered a feature of prokaryotic cells ONLY and in some others they consider eukaryotic cells also to have circular DNA. Are there other types of DNA which is circular aside from plasmids in eukaryotic cells?

Why do examiners ask this type of questions when clearly there is no agreement among examiners/textbooks etc. from students?
Only prokaryotic cells have plasmid DNA and the chromosomal DNA Eukaryotic cells have a nucleus and no extra genetic material
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by Jpw1097)
thanks!
iqra_xoxoxoxox
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
thanks!
No worries girl !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
28.85%
Take a gap year (16)
15.38%
Resit my exams (28)
26.92%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (15)
14.42%
I don't know yet (10)
9.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.81%

Watched Threads