AbbieNicole1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I've been wondering whether to do a PGCE at uni or whether to apply for Scitt training instead, I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about their experience of SCITT. I will also be a mature student and I'm worried about having to take a year off work. I don't have kids but I have a mortgage that obviously needs paying. If anyone was in a similar situation, is it manageable? I'm not worried about the work load but I'm worried how I will manage financially. I looked into loans and what I am eligible for is hardly anything.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AbbieNicole1992)
Hi, I've been wondering whether to do a PGCE at uni or whether to apply for Scitt training instead, I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about their experience of SCITT. I will also be a mature student and I'm worried about having to take a year off work. I don't have kids but I have a mortgage that obviously needs paying. If anyone was in a similar situation, is it manageable? I'm not worried about the work load but I'm worried how I will manage financially. I looked into loans and what I am eligible for is hardly anything.
Hello AbbieNicole1992

While the University and SCITT teacher training courses appear different, the reality is that they do not differ greatly. It's in the actual detail of the individual provider, where the differences occur. (ie no two Uni's or SCITTs are fully alike) Whether you train with a Uni or a School, you'll need to complete a min. of 24 weeks of teaching practice (ie planning, delivering and assessing learning) where you'll be integrated into school life to enable you to meet the Teacher Standards. To differentiate between one course and another, you need to get to know them really well. Contact them and ask questions such as -

Academic Study
- Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
Course Structure
- When does the course start and finish?
- What does the year look like (what proportion is placements vs self-study days)?
- Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What proportion of trainees complete the course?

Teaching Practice Placements
- How are the two or more teaching practice placements decided?
- What sort of distance might you be expected to commute?
- How long are each teaching practice placements and where are they likely to be?
- Are beginner teachers placed in a school with at least one other trainee, or are they usually placed alone?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET/open or parent’s evenings be during placements?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?

Opportunities offered
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Additional Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- Are there any opportunities for observing/teaching Early Years (if Primary) or A-level (if secondary)?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?

You would benefit from the support and guidance from a Get into Teaching adviser. Register for one here. We are all experienced teachers and expert in the application process. The service is free too!

Wishing you all the best,

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.01%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (213)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads