Biology GCSE experts help

Watch this thread
BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
to clarify what I learned:

is it true that cell division in developing animals (e.g. cub) are mainly focused for both development (e.g. height growth) and to treat wounds. Whereas, cell division in fully developed animals (e.g. adults) are for treating wounds?

anyone plz reply ASAP
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
to clarify what I learned:

is it true that cell division in developing animals (e.g. cub) are mainly focused for both development (e.g. height growth) and to treat wounds. Whereas, cell division in fully developed animals (e.g. adults) are for treating wounds?

anyone plz reply ASAP
Not really, no. A fully-developed adult is constantly producing new skin cells, mucosal layers and so forth by mitotic cell division. Mitosis is not restricted to just 'healing wounds' in a fully-developed organism.

Cancer, too, is essentially unregulated mitosis.
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Not really, no. A fully-developed adult is constantly producing new skin cells, mucosal layers and so forth by mitotic cell division. Mitosis is not restricted to just 'healing wounds' in a fully-developed organism.

Cancer, too, is essentially unregulated mitosis.
So, cell divisions in adults are mainly focused for replacing cells for wounds and producing new skin cells etc.? Whereas, children have cell division for these reasons as well as for organismal growth?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
So, cell divisions in adults are mainly focused for replacing cells for wounds and producing new skin cells etc.? Whereas, children have cell division for these reasons as well as for organismal growth?
I think it would be better to look at it in terms of organisms grow through mitotic cell division - in addition, a fully developed organism maintains and adapts itself through mitotic cell division - rather than trying to make a clean distinction between a not fully-developed and a fully-developed organism.
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
I think it would be better to look at it in terms of organisms grow through mitotic cell division - in addition, a fully developed organism maintains and adapts itself through mitotic cell division - rather than trying to make a clean distinction between a not fully-developed and a fully-developed organism.
in terms of interphase stage of the cell cycle. Will cells have 92 chromosomes during interphase stage because they start to replicate its organelles?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
in terms of interphase stage of the cell cycle. Will cells have 92 chromosomes during interphase stage because they start to replicate its organelles?
To answer this question, think about the difference between eukaryotic nuclear DNA and mitochondrial/chloroplast DNA. Which is organised into chromosomes, and which is not? This will answer your question
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
To answer this question, think about the difference between eukaryotic nuclear DNA and mitochondrial/chloroplast DNA. Which is organised into chromosomes, and which is not? This will answer your question
sorry whats that? im on gcse levels
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
sorry whats that? im on gcse levels
Oh, sorry - I thought you were doing A levels - I didn't read your thread title carefully enough. Bad RC.

You were talking about organelles replicating, and I thought you were getting confused with the circular DNA found in organelles, and the chromosomal DNA found in the cellular nucleus. That's A level stuff, so you don't need to worry about it at your stage.

Have you heard of the haploid number? A normal somatic (body) cell is diploid (2n) which, in humans, is 46 chromosomes. Just before mitosis, the cell duplicates its cellular DNA, leading to a 4n state, or 92 chromosomes - so you are correct. We don't often talk about this stage, so remember than after mitotic division and division of the cell into two daughter cells the number comes back down to 2n, or 46 chromosomes.

Does that make sense?
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
Oh, sorry - I thought you were doing A levels - I didn't read your thread title carefully enough. Bad RC.

You were talking about organelles replicating, and I thought you were getting confused with the circular DNA found in organelles, and the chromosomal DNA found in the cellular nucleus. That's A level stuff, so you don't need to worry about it at your stage.

Have you heard of the haploid number? A normal somatic (body) cell is diploid (2n) which, in humans, is 46 chromosomes. Just before mitosis, the cell duplicates its cellular DNA, leading to a 4n state, or 92 chromosomes - so you are correct. We don't often talk about this stage, so remember than after mitotic division and division of the cell into two daughter cells the number comes back down to 2n, or 46 chromosomes.

Does that make sense?
yes it makes sense now! thank you so much for ur help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.43%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (4)
5.71%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.29%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.71%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.43%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed