Exam anxiety tips!

Watch this thread
gsrh05
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi there,

I have my mocks in a few days and I’m feeling very worried because, in the past, this feeling has affected my performance in the exam and I haven’t done as well as I could because I panic. I really don’t want this to happen again, especially since I really want to do well in these mocks mainly because I set such high standards for myself and I want to prove to myself that I am capable of getting good grades, but also, I’m worried about going into a lockdown again and schools having to use TAGs as our final grades.
I get extremely nervous from about the evening before up to during the exam itself. I often feel extremely nauseous and like I’m about to cry. I am terrified of feeling like that when I have these exams in a few days. I just want to know that I’m not alone and if anyone has any tips?

Thanks
succubus666
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I’m in year 13 and i suffer from that too, i asked if i can be placed in a separate room with invigilators for my anxiety. Maybe you can ask for a similar thing?
gsrh05
Rep:
(Original post by succubus666)
I’m in year 13 and i suffer from that too, i asked if i can be placed in a separate room with invigilators for my anxiety. Maybe you can ask for a similar thing?
Hi! Thanks for replying, I honestly didn’t realise that was an option. What’s the difference between being in this separate room than just being in the normal exam hall?
succubus666
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by gsrh05)
Hi! Thanks for replying, I honestly didn’t realise that was an option. What’s the difference between being in this separate room than just being in the normal exam hall?
For me personally being in a an exam hall surrounded with so many students makes me overthink and stress for no reason and because i associated the exam hall with exams and such it makes me worry more but when I’m in a classroom its somewhere I usually learn normally and I’m not being surrounded by many students as I’m in a separate room and i don’t find myself overthinking and stressing.
gsrh05
Rep:
For me personally being in a an exam hall surrounded with so many students makes me overthink and stress for no reason and because i associated the exam hall with exams and such it makes me worry more but when I’m in a classroom its somewhere I usually learn normally and I’m not being surrounded by many students as I’m in a separate room and i don’t find myself overthinking and stressing.
Hi thank you this is very helpful! This does sound like a very good idea and it’s definitely something I’m going to consider. X
succubus666
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi thank you this is very helpful! This does sound like a very good idea and it’s definitely something I’m going to consider. X
You’re welcome! I hope it gets easier
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
This is an expensive option for the school that also increases the chance of things going wrong - 1 exam room is much easier to deal with than 10 or 20. Centres are therefore often unwilling to accommodate this request unless the student has a consultant's note saying it's necessary. They may offer a smaller room instead, or put someone in the part of the room where they feel more comfortable - at the back, or the side or with a good view of the exit.
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
My daughter used to take a little photo of me into internal exams that she would have silent conversations with to calm herself down - she knew the advice I'd give but still needed 'me' to be there to say it to her. By the time she got to GCSEs she could do the same just drawing a face on her rubber. Worth a try maybe?

A separate room is an option of almost last resort - schools lack the people, the rooms and the money to do this for anyone who wants one. Think about what could help that keeps you in a room with others - would you prefer to be at the front/back/ near the door/away from the door, not with other people siting the same exam etc. Have a think and then discuss your problems and what might help with the SENCo or exams officer. Do it sooner rather than later, schools have to have seating plans for public exams and will do them well in advance. It's not necessarily easy to move people at the last miniute.
gsrh05
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
My daughter used to take a little photo of me into internal exams that she would have silent conversations with to calm herself down - she knew the advice I'd give but still needed 'me' to be there to say it to her. By the time she got to GCSEs she could do the same just drawing a face on her rubber. Worth a try maybe?

A separate room is an option of almost last resort - schools lack the people, the rooms and the money to do this for anyone who wants one. Think about what could help that keeps you in a room with others - would you prefer to be at the front/back/ near the door/away from the door, not with other people siting the same exam etc. Have a think and then discuss your problems and what might help with the SENCo or exams officer. Do it sooner rather than later, schools have to have seating plans for public exams and will do them well in advance. It's not necessarily easy to move people at the last miniute.
Hi, thank you so much, I really like the picture idea, and will give it a go! Thank you!!
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,

I have my mocks in a few days and I’m feeling very worried because, in the past, this feeling has affected my performance in the exam and I haven’t done as well as I could because I panic. I really don’t want this to happen again, especially since I really want to do well in these mocks mainly because I set such high standards for myself and I want to prove to myself that I am capable of getting good grades, but also, I’m worried about going into a lockdown again and schools having to use TAGs as our final grades.
I get extremely nervous from about the evening before up to during the exam itself. I often feel extremely nauseous and like I’m about to cry. I am terrified of feeling like that when I have these exams in a few days. I just want to know that I’m not alone and if anyone has any tips?

Thanks
Hi there.

Exams can be very worrying so you're definitely not alone although it may feel like you are. I recommend you do the Qs which you can first, even if this means skipping Qs you're not sure about, as this way you can gradually build your confidence whilst doing the paper. I've had moments in exams where I've looked at a Q, not understood it at first then came back and found I can do it!

The fact that you care about your exams shows that you're willing to work hard and if you work your hardest you can't regret not reaching your personal best.

Wish you all the best for the exams.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
This is an expensive option for the school that also increases the chance of things going wrong - 1 exam room is much easier to deal with than 10 or 20. Centres are therefore often unwilling to accommodate this request unless the student has a consultant's note saying it's necessary. They may offer a smaller room instead, or put someone in the part of the room where they feel more comfortable - at the back, or the side or with a good view of the exit.
no it’s really not lol when i’m in the room it’s not only just me but a few other students who undergo the same issues. there is only 1 separate room for students who have this issue
gsrh05
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

Exams can be very worrying so you're definitely not alone although it may feel like you are. I recommend you do the Qs which you can first, even if this means skipping Qs you're not sure about, as this way you can gradually build your confidence whilst doing the paper. I've had moments in exams where I've looked at a Q, not understood it at first then came back and found I can do it!

The fact that you care about your exams shows that you're willing to work hard and if you work your hardest you can't regret not reaching your personal best.

Wish you all the best for the exams.
Thank you so much, this was really reassuring 😊😌 I really appreciate it!
gsrh05
Rep:
Thank you so much, this was really reassuring 😊😌 I really appreciate it!
Also thank you so much for the advice. I’m going to try that in the exams! I’d never thought about this but it actually seems like a really good way of building confidence and not panicking.
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
no it’s really not lol when i’m in the room it’s not only just me but a few other students who undergo the same issues. there is only 1 separate room for students who have this issue
OK, so a smaller room rather than a separate one - that wasn't clear.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
OK, so a smaller room rather than a separate one - that wasn't clear.
it is a separate room because i’m not in the exam hall i’m in a classroom
username5872738
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,

Thanks
Absolutely not alone, I have really bad anxiety too and get all the symptoms you described. Personally going into a seperate room (as others suggested too) was a massive help for me and you can also request for rest breaks! I got offered them and even if you don't use them, they're great to have for reassurance that you can take a break when overwhelmed. I got very stressed too before my exams, but after the first two exams I barely felt any anxiety at all which was really strange for me!! Just try to calm yourself down before the exam by staying away from other people who are overly stressed (so try not to take on others anxiety!) and do breathing exercises. Wish you all the luck for your exams -- I'm sure you'll do great!! (:
Harriet52
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Definitely having a night before and pre exam routine has helped me. Drink tea or water, breathe and just remind yourself that you are amazing and capable that exams don’t determine your worth x
TylerJamesNunn
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi, hope you're doing well. I suffer from this too, and its very stressful with the addition of the uncertainty of the future with lockdowns etc. Recently, Boris Johnson has announced that there will be an easing of covid restrictions, which most likely means that a lockdown will not happen any time soon. Just see it as the fact that you have to do your exams no matter what, so you might as well just make use of your time before them and maximise your potential of acing your exams. I'm sure you will do amazing in your mocks and your GCSE's, considering what you said about how you have high standards for yourself which means you push your limits. You will do amazing, I'm sure of it!
I wish you the best with your exams.
Kiera.Smith
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

Thanks
Hi! First of all, you're definitely not alone, and exams are definitely a time when it feels like your anxiety is taking over. Something really simple that helped me for my exams was having a mint or something a couple of minutes before the exam so that I could eat it during the first part of my exam. This meant that when I went in and sat down and eventually started to read the questions, I had something else to focus on a little, and it helped me stay calm and stop the panic setting in. It's a really simple thing, but it actually really helped me. I hope this helped, and best of luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads