Can someone please mark this answer to an English exam question?

Watch this thread
anonymous1462
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
How does Priestley explore the importance of social class in An Inspector Calls?

In an Inspector Calls, Priestley uses characters like Sheila to explore the importance of social class. Sheila used her place in society (Mr Birling's daughter) to have Eva fired from her job. Priestley does this to show that when you are a high-class, respected person in society, you can use it to your advantage. In the time that the play was set, high-class people had a much bigger advantage in society.
Another example of how social class is important in the play is when Gerald explains that Old Joe Meggarty had Eva 'wedged' into him. This is a clear example of sexual assault but Joe Meggarty was a well respected person. Because of this, Mrs Birling did not believe that he would've done that. This demonstrates how everyone thought that because someone was upper-class and well-known, they couldn't do anything wrong. This could also show how society had been brainwashed into believing that upper-class people were perfect and made no mistakes.
The importance of social class in the play is also demonstrated through Eva Smith. Eva was a working-class woman so she was seen to be below everyone else. This meant that she had no say in anything and people looked down on her. Eva was refused help because Mrs Birling didn't like her manner. This proves that people who were not wealthy and popular were treated extremely unfairly and were often stereotyped. Because Eva was a working-class person,she could not recieve any help or support. However, if Mrs Birling, an upper-class woman, needed help, it is very likely that many people would've helped her. I think that Priestley has shown this in the play to make the reader feel sympathetic towards the lower classes and to encourage them to be angry at society's stereotypes towards the working-class.
Finally, another example that shows the importance of social class is when Mr Birling threatens the Inspector. He uses his place in society to brag and make the Inspector feel threatened. Mr Birling doing this also shows how upper-class people can use their popularity to their advantage.
Overall, Priestley uses An Inspector Calls to prove that people are treated unfairly. He wanted to show that society's beliefs about upper-class people were not always true andx actually that a lot of high-class people make much more mistakes than working-class people. I think he wanted to teach the audience a lesson that we should not stereotype people and we should not treat others unfairly.

Please be as harsh as possible. I am in year 10 so am looking to improve lots, any tips would be helpful please
The total marks for this question is out of 30. Thankyou
ArizonaRobbins
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anonymous1462)
How does Priestley explore the importance of social class in An Inspector Calls?

In an Inspector Calls, Priestley uses characters like Sheila to explore the importance of social class. Sheila used her place in society (Mr Birling's daughter) to have Eva fired from her job. Priestley does this to show that when you are a high-class, respected person in society, you can use it to your advantage. In the time that the play was set, high-class people had a much bigger advantage in society.
Another example of how social class is important in the play is when Gerald explains that Old Joe Meggarty had Eva 'wedged' into him. This is a clear example of sexual assault but Joe Meggarty was a well respected person. Because of this, Mrs Birling did not believe that he would've done that. This demonstrates how everyone thought that because someone was upper-class and well-known, they couldn't do anything wrong. This could also show how society had been brainwashed into believing that upper-class people were perfect and made no mistakes.
The importance of social class in the play is also demonstrated through Eva Smith. Eva was a working-class woman so she was seen to be below everyone else. This meant that she had no say in anything and people looked down on her. Eva was refused help because Mrs Birling didn't like her manner. This proves that people who were not wealthy and popular were treated extremely unfairly and were often stereotyped. Because Eva was a working-class person,she could not recieve any help or support. However, if Mrs Birling, an upper-class woman, needed help, it is very likely that many people would've helped her. I think that Priestley has shown this in the play to make the reader feel sympathetic towards the lower classes and to encourage them to be angry at society's stereotypes towards the working-class.
Finally, another example that shows the importance of social class is when Mr Birling threatens the Inspector. He uses his place in society to brag and make the Inspector feel threatened. Mr Birling doing this also shows how upper-class people can use their popularity to their advantage.
Overall, Priestley uses An Inspector Calls to prove that people are treated unfairly. He wanted to show that society's beliefs about upper-class people were not always true andx actually that a lot of high-class people make much more mistakes than working-class people. I think he wanted to teach the audience a lesson that we should not stereotype people and we should not treat others unfairly.

Please be as harsh as possible. I am in year 10 so am looking to improve lots, any tips would be helpful please
The total marks for this question is out of 30. Thankyou
I'm in year 10 and doing the exact same topic as you so i'll try my best to help haha

you need to write a full quote, and from what I can see you've only quoted one verb ('wedged'). try and quote a sentence or a phrase, and make sure that you analyse language (like zooming into words and saying the effect of that word, and identifying the language technique used by priestly) as that makes up 40 percent of your mark

i think your context is very good

for the audience's feelings, you could expand on that, and don't begin the sentence with 'i think.' instead, you could begin with 'perhaps' in order to make your essay seem more secure (if that makes sense)

for a mark i would give 8/12 for A01 and 6/6 for A03, but i'm sorry that i couldn't give you any marks for A02 language (but if you analyse language in your next essay i can guarantee that you'll get a high mark ) but then again i'm not a teacher or examiner so the marks may differ slightly

but i really like your writing style and the way you worded your points, even i can't write that way haha
i hope i helped!
anonymous1462
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I was struggling to remember quotes so I need to work on that next time and revise some
Thankyou for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
31.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (25)
37.88%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.03%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.06%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.52%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.52%

Watched Threads