The Student Room Group

Vamps' 2022 Wellbeing Blog

:rave:Welcome to my wellbeing blog:rave:

To say 2021 was a roller-coaster of emotions is an understatement. I had some really high highs but also some really low lows.
This is why this blog comes into place- to keep me in check and to try keep the lows at a minimum.

There are three key areas that I will be focusing on:

Career
My main goal is to secure a permanent ECT job (I recently qualified as a primary school teacher). I will be documenting my job hunting journey as well as other career and work related bits :smartass:

Health
Both my physical and mental health are in a very tragic state right now i.e. non-existent! I'm going to try keep on top of my health through various means :yes:

Leisure
There is a mixture of fun stuff and hobbies that I want to try out and do this year. It will be good for me to go out of my comfort zone and experience new things :yep:

I aim to update the blog every week, if not, every couple of weeks :h:
Sounds great! Following :biggrin:
Update #1

Career
Towards the end of 2021 I enrolled onto a Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills course. Whilst not a requirement for teaching, the knowledge and skills I learn from it is definitely useful to know. So far I have submitted one assessment, and I am now working on completing the second and final assessment for the course. I am hoping to get it submitted within the next couple of days :crossedf:

Health
My mental health has been quite low for a while now, but I'm used to it so :dontknow: Unfortunately I'm just gonna have to leave it as it is until I am in a position where I can book an appointment with a GP.

In terms of my physical health, I've been taking Vitamin D supplements recently and will be continuing to do so. I'm not sure if it actually does anything, but I hope they do considering they weren't cheap :colonhash:

The last couple of weeks I have gotten into a habit of sleeping at like 6am :redface: You probably know this if you use the LPTPHW thread, I'm often seen posting there at like 5am. Although my sleeping pattern is bad, I am on the fence about fixing it. Simply because of my home situation and how bad my current mental health is, being awake at ungodly hours whilst everyone is still sleeping is the only time I get some peace to myself. Depending on how I feel, I may attempt to create a normal sleeping pattern again.

Leisure
Nothing to report at the moment.
Update #2

Career
Woooo! I have submitted the final assessment for the Level 2 Counselling Skills course I was doing!! :woo: Just gotta wait for feedback and hopefully I have passed.
My plan is to take a break from enrolling onto more online courses/additional CPD so I can focus on job hunting. I have made a start on my personal statement/cover letter so my main task right now is to get that completed.

Health
My mental health seem to have gotten worse??? I keep getting these waves of anxiety and I even had a couple of days where I was crying non-stop :frown: I don't know why but I'm just gonna assume it's all the stress and repressed emotions getting to me.

My physical health isn't any better either. Sleeping pattern has stayed the same. 4am has become the new 10pm :redface:

I also need to make it a goal to drink more water...

Leisure
I had a brief catch up with one of my friends the other day. I haven't spoken to her in a couple of weeks so it was really nice hearing from her again. Feeling v grateful for my pals :h:
Cool thread. But why not set up your own blog though?
Update #3

Career
Okay, so quite a few things have happened since I last updated 2 weeks ago.
1. Found out I passed my Level 2 Counselling Skills course so that's another qualification in the bag! My certificate should arrive within 3 months :happy2:
2. Finally completed writing my ECT personal statement :biggrin: (lol I was such a clown thinking I could get in done in like 3 days, but nope, it ended up taking me almost 2 weeks).
3. I signed up to a teaching recruitment agency. My consultant seems nice and helpful so far, so umm yeah, we'll see how that goes :unsure: Whilst I wait for job alerts, I'm gonna be doing interview prep and brushing up my knowledge on things like safeguarding etc

Health
Mental: I have been feeling okay, definitely better than I did in my last update. An improvement I guess :curious:

Physical: This however, has NOT been an improvement. My sleeping pattern is still a mess :nn: (also kinda not my main priority to fix right now, we'll get there one day...)

Leisure
I treated myself to some books :ahee:

Tag:
@BurstingBubbles
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Update #3

Career
Okay, so quite a few things have happened since I last updated 2 weeks ago.
1. Found out I passed my Level 2 Counselling Skills course so that's another qualification in the bag! My certificate should arrive within 3 months :happy2:
2. Finally completed writing my ECT personal statement :biggrin: (lol I was such a clown thinking I could get in done in like 3 days, but nope, it ended up taking me almost 2 weeks).
3. I signed up to a teaching recruitment agency. My consultant seems nice and helpful so far, so umm yeah, we'll see how that goes :unsure: Whilst I wait for job alerts, I'm gonna be doing interview prep and brushing up my knowledge on things like safeguarding etc

Health
Mental: I have been feeling okay, definitely better than I did in my last update. An improvement I guess :curious:

Physical: This however, has NOT been an improvement. My sleeping pattern is still a mess :nn: (also kinda not my main priority to fix right now, we'll get there one day...)

Leisure
I treated myself to some books :ahee:

Tag:
@BurstingBubbles

Lots of positives which is fab! I hope that your sleeping pattern improves soon! :smile:
Update #4

Hi all :hello:
It's been almost 3 weeks since I last posted. Not a lot has happened to be honest, but enjoy this update anyway...

Career
1. My PGCE certificate from UCL finally arrived in the post!! It's sooo nice having a physical reminder of my achievements, I really want to put it in a frame and hang it up :daydreaming:
2. I am now an official member of a charity (that I won't be naming) where I'm going to be volunteering as an academic mentor. It involves me helping underprivileged students to apply for university. The sort of stuff I do includes reviewing personal statements and doing mock interviews :h:
3. I have not heard anything from the teaching recruitment agency that I signed up to so my plan is to sign up to another agency. They seem so much better and I have heard good things about them :crossedf:

Health
LOL i'm not even gonna say anything. I'll just be repeating myself.

Leisure/Miscellaneous
I managed to get a couple of Harry Styles concert tickets for my friend and I :biggrin: Cannot wait to see him this year! :banana:

Spoiler

Update #5

Another weekly update, I am on a roll!

Career
1. I have signed up to another teaching recruitment agency, though I am still waiting for my consultant to phone me back to confirm everything.

2. I am also looking for jobs by myself because you can never solely rely on agencies. My aim by the end of next week is to have submitted two applications. It is very tedious and time-consuming because I am having to tailor my personal statement to match each school :no: providing I don't slack, it should be possible.

Health
My mental health has somewhat been stable. I'm doing better than the last couple of weeks and i'm trying so hard to keep it this way :yes:

Leisure/Miscellaneous
Kinda random but I had Krispy Kreme doughnuts for the first time ever! It was kinda spenny... but i do gotta say their vegan caramel choc delight doughnut was *chefs kiss* :donut:
Update #6

End of February update...

Career
1. I'm not having much luck with teaching agencies, they're just not that helpful if i'm being honest so, I don't think i'm gonna bother with them for the time being.
2. I only managed to submit one teaching job application. I underestimated how long a single application takes to complete tbh. And the lack of motivation and concentration is really making it difficult to get anything done.

Health
I've been feeling so stressed and overwhelmed lately. Finding it so hard to not give up on life right now :frown: It doesn't help that i'm not sleeping well either :s-smilie:

Leisure/Miscellaneous
Managed to catch up with a friend despite her busy schedule. Feeling very grateful to have her in my life :h:

Overall, February was kinda a rocky month.
Here's to a better March :smile:
Also, how quick is this year going wtf

tag:
@BurstingBubbles
Update #7

It's March!
This month so far has been kinda uneventful so not much to update :indiff:

Career
1. Since the last update I have only sent off one job application. I'm just really lacking motivation to get anything done atm. Hopefully i'll be more productive this week.
2. I have signed up to an online tutoring company and am currently waiting for them to verify my account. It's something for me to do on the side whilst job hunting and to also provide me with some money coz i'm kinda broke.

Health
Tbh at this point idek what to say about it. I'm just a mess on all levels :redface:

Leisure
I bought a couple more concert tickets :awesome: (also yes this is mainly why i'm broke :colondollar:)

Blog do be kinda repetitive; will try to jazz it up a bit somehow for next time
Update #8

Another March update; this week has been kinda rubbish...

Career
1. Found out I didn't get shortlisted for an interview for the job I applied for (the one I mentioned in the last update). It sucks because I really liked that school; finding a school that truly aligns with your vision is somewhat rare. But onwards and upwards, I will continue job hunting.

2. I also got rejected to work for this online tutoring company :shot: However, I have found another online tutoring company, so I will give them a go and fingers cross they will accept my application.

Health
I have been trying to get back into meditation and journalling again to help my mental health. So far it has been proving difficult because I honestly cannot get five minutes of peace at home.

Leisure/miscellaneous
Did some shopping on an impulse :innocent: retail therapy if you will. I got some new skin care and makeup bits from Glossier which I'm looking forward to trying.

Motivational quote of the week:
Giving up is not an option; you deserve all the great things you can't stop dreaming about.
Update #9

End of March update :flower2:

Career
Productive Procrastination is both a blessing and a curse; I managed to get some work done that has been on my to-do list for a while now, but i've not done any of the more important tasks e.g. job applications. The stress and overwhelmingness of it meant i've been putting it off when I really shouldn't have :redface: Need to get back on track and sort my life out :nothing:

Health
I've somehow been unintentionally sleeping earlier than usual, not complaining about it though! Now to work on waking up earlier...

Meditation and journalling is something I'm still trying to do incorporate into my (daily?) routine.

Recently I bought myself a gua sha, it's suppose to have a bunch of health benefits so i'm giving that a go. I'm hoping it actually does work and it isn't just some placebo effects :curious:

Leisure/miscellaneous
Can't think of anything too interesting other than the fact that I bought some concerts tickets. At this point, it's no surprise what my interest is :rock:

Overall, March has been a somewhat boring and uneventful month.

If you let anyone's perception of you dictate your behaviour, you will never grow as a person.
Update #9

End of March update :flower2:

Career
Productive Procrastination is both a blessing and a curse; I managed to get some work done that has been on my to-do list for a while now, but i've not done any of the more important tasks e.g. job applications. The stress and overwhelmingness of it meant i've been putting it off when I really shouldn't have :redface: Need to get back on track and sort my life out :nothing:

Health
I've somehow been unintentionally sleeping earlier than usual, not complaining about it though! Now to work on waking up earlier...

Meditation and journalling is something I'm still trying to do incorporate into my (daily?) routine.

Recently I bought myself a gua sha, it's suppose to have a bunch of health benefits so i'm giving that a go. I'm hoping it actually does work and it isn't just some placebo effects :curious:

Leisure/miscellaneous
Can't think of anything too interesting other than the fact that I bought some concerts tickets. At this point, it's no surprise what my interest is :rock:

Overall, March has been a somewhat boring and uneventful month.

If you let anyone's perception of you dictate your behaviour, you will never grow as a person.

Sometimes we need a period of time that is boring and uneventful :lol: but I hope that April brings more fun with it :biggrin:
Update #10

April :bunny:

Career
No update on this front; I basically took a break from job applications :redface:
Need to get back on it now that there is an influx of teaching vacancies popping up :cyber:

Health
My mental health has been a lot more stable and i'm hoping it will keep that way :crossedf: I'm still trying to journal as frequent as I can because it does help organise my thoughts and feelings to an extent :yes:

Leisure
This month was definitely a lot more fun in comparison to previous months:
I went to a 5SOS concert for the first time :headbang:
Met up with two TSR users :yep:
Spent a few days in my favourite place aka London :heart:
Met up with my school friends for the first time in a year :h:
Celebrated my 23rd birthday :cake:

April has been an okay month! But i'm hoping May will be a lot more productive :smile:
Update #10

Career
No update on this front; I basically took a break from job applications :redface:
Need to get back on it now that there is an influx of teaching vacancies popping up :cyber:

Health
My mental health has been a lot more stable and i'm hoping it will keep that way :crossedf: I'm still trying to journal as frequent as I can because it does help organise my thoughts and feelings to an extent :yes:

Leisure

April has been an okay month! But i'm hoping May will be a lot more productive :smile:

PRSOM :biggrin:
Update #10

Career

Health

Leisure

Hey :smile: It's been a while! How have things been with you? :biggrin: I hope you've had a lovely summer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending