How different are history and politics at degree level?

Watch this thread
AxSirlotl
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am applying for economics and politics because I enjoy history primarily, but also maths, and I am reluctant to leave either my history skills or my maths skills behind at university.

Am I being naive in thinking that politics is similar to history and as such will be a good degree for me? Looking at the modules there seems to be a greater emphasis on theory than in typical history courses. However much of the content is modern history eg Russian Politics, Genocide, State and Non-State Violence.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
History is a humanities subject and Politics is a social science - the academic methodology and theoretical approach is different. Degree level study is not just about cramming facts and the approach of both these subjects have substantial elements of 'academic theory' about how/why these subjects are studied in the way they are within each discipline. Yes, there is 'political history' and 'economic history' but this will be studied in a different way to politics and economics as social sciences.

Basic differences - https://askanydifference.com/differe...cial-sciences/

There are short books in the 'Very Short Introductions' series about both subjects that will introduce you to some of this 'approach' stuff - worth reading if you want a more detailed explanation of the differences : Politics (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-A-.../dp/B095J838V1) and History (https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Ver.../dp/019285352X).
If you can look on YouTube for any relevant 'subject talks' from the Unis you intend to apply to, these will also be useful.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AxSirlotl)
I am applying for economics and politics because I enjoy history primarily, but also maths, and I am reluctant to leave either my history skills or my maths skills behind at university.

Am I being naive in thinking that politics is similar to history and as such will be a good degree for me? Looking at the modules there seems to be a greater emphasis on theory than in typical history courses. However much of the content is modern history eg Russian Politics, Genocide, State and Non-State Violence.
Hi AxSirlotl
Though I can only really speak for history as a history student, I'd say there are definitely cross-overs between the two subjects. You can study political history for example.
I would like to highlight though that at Southampton, and most likely other Universities though I'm not completely sure, you are able to take inter-disciplinary modules. This means that if you study politics, you may be able to take modules in history although I am not 100% sure how that works if you are doing a joint honors degree or at other universities.
Also, at Southampton at least, I have found that there are history modules that are very political and I'm sure it is the same the other way round so there should be ways to do both.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any other questions.

Daisy (a 3rd year history official rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads