Four cleared of criminal damage charges for pulling down slave trader statue

Watch
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-59727161

Four accused of illegally removing the statue of slave trader Edward Colston have been found not guilty of criminal damage by a jury.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Justice served. Shameful that the statue had not already been removed by the council despite constant calls from locals, even more so that they then pushed to prosecute four people for dumping it in the sea where it belonged.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
These vermin deserve ten years hard labour for their despicable woke vandalism.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Perhaps a statue to them could be erected by public subscription.
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ehhh I’m not comfortable with the idea of people yanking down statues of those they don’t like (not saying Colston deserved a statue) . The whole thing could have been handled better all around.
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
The establishment are furious about this. Wha a way to stick it to them, you should be delighted!
Starship Trooper
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DSilva)
The establishment are furious about this. Wha a way to stick it to them, you should be delighted!
A- part of the establishment *are possibly, most are thrilled. Brainlets on the left think that Ben Shapiro and Rupert Murdoch are the establishment. Brainlets on the right think that Owen Jones and the Guardian are the establishment when truth is they all are.

B- even if that was the case whilst what's bad for the establishment is almost always a good thing there are exceptions.

C: the idea that the establishment is furious with these people is laughable. Ask Julian Assange what our regime does to people they're furious with.

D- I suspect that if the statue had been of Nelson Mandela or MLK they would have had the book thrown at them.

*(Consisting of Patel, a few conservative MPs, maybe a few papers like the DM). I suspect they doth protest too much.
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
D- I suspect that if the statue had been of Nelson Mandela or MLK they would have had the book thrown at them.
By 'they', I take it you mean the jury when they deliberated on their verdict? ie the jury would have found the defendants guilty rather than not guilty

Quite probably so, but the role of a jury of commoners is a key part of our legal system.
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
A- part of the establishment *are possibly, most are thrilled. Brainlets on the left think that Ben Shapiro and Rupert Murdoch are the establishment. Brainlets on the right think that Owen Jones and the Guardian are the establishment when truth is they all are.

B- even if that was the case whilst what's bad for the establishment is almost always a good thing there are exceptions.

C: the idea that the establishment is furious with these people is laughable. Ask Julian Assange what our regime does to people they're furious with.

*(Consisting of Patel, a few conservative MPs, maybe a few papers like the DM). I suspect they doth protest too much.
Look at how lots of Tory Mps are reacting today.

I would say this has annoyed all the right people.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quady)
By 'they', I take it you mean the jury when they deliberated on their verdict? ie the jury would have found the defendants guilty rather than not guilty

Quite probably so, but the role of a jury of commoners is a key part of our legal system.
In part yes.

Yes...and in the past this was great. I'm not so sure now, although I don't have a better answer to hand.

Basically in order to have a functional liberal democracy you need impartiality, which itself is impossible but what you can have is an illusion of such when you have a strong monoculture or/and are ethnically homogeneous. When you have multiculturalism, ethnic pluralism and no unifying culture or religion it really makes trial by "peers" impossible and it becomes inherently political.
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
In part yes.

Yes...and in the past this was great. I'm not so sure now, although I don't have a better answer to hand.

Basically in order to have a functional liberal democracy you need impartiality, which itself is impossible but what you can have is an illusion of such when you have a strong monoculture or/and are ethnically homogeneous. When you have multiculturalism, ethnic pluralism and no unifying culture or religion it really makes trial by "peers" impossible and it becomes inherently political.
So what's the alternative, trial by state apparatchiks?.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
So what's the alternative, trial by state apparatchiks?.
Probably, yes.

Not optimal of course but these are sub optimal times.
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Probably, yes.

Not optimal of course but these are sub optimal times.
You'd have been quite at home in Stalin's Russia.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You'd have been quite at home in Stalin's Russia.
Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-26-16-12-32-19.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  100.5 KB

Stalin, particularly in his later years was pretty based.

And yes you need a Stalin/ Putin figure to bring order to a dysfunctional and corrupt system which both inherited.

Hopefully Trump will one day do the same.
Crazed cat lady
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Good to see a bit of common sense.
the bear
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
i am disgusted by the statue of toddler killer Boudicca AKA Boadicea just 100 yards from Parliament.

it should be chucked in the Thames.

Name:  bahd.png
Views: 19
Size:  276.5 KB
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Edward Colston was responsible for transporting 84,000 slaves, 12,000 of whom were children and 19,000 of whom died en route.

Standards change yadeya but telling that some people seem far more concerned with his statue being taken down than they do about his statue being still there in the first place.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Edward Colston was responsible for transporting 84,000 slaves, 12,000 of whom were children and 19,000 of whom died en route.
Wait until you hear about how they made the pyramids!
DSilva
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Wait until you hear about how they made the pyramids!
By all means go tear them down 😉.
Last edited by DSilva; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (50)
12.35%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.98%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (101)
24.94%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (37)
9.14%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (195)
48.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.46%

Watched Threads