“Bring an object or a resource that is important to you”

Watch
columba2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I recently applied for Primary Education at Chester University and have received guidance for my online interview however I am unsure of what to bring in the form of an important object/resource that is important to me.

Is there something specific they’re looking out for and what would be the best thing to bring/something to avoid?

Any advice would be great… the guidance for my interview is below.

“We would like you to prepare a two-minute presentation. Please think of an object or resource that is important to you, it could be anything, but some examples are: a book, a portfolio, or an object (artefact/photo) that reminds you of an important occasion. Prepare a two-minute presentation, all about the object. If possible, have the object with you. As we are looking at your potential for being a primary school teacher it would benefit you to be creative in your delivery. You may use prompt cards if you would find this helpful (due to time constraints the use of a computer presentation is not possible). This is an exercise to assess your presentation skills, we do ask that you do not simply read from the notes.”
ROTL94 2
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I think the object is secondary to your presentation skills which is what would be being assessed.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by columba2004)
I recently applied for Primary Education at Chester University and have received guidance for my online interview however I am unsure of what to bring in the form of an important object/resource that is important to me.

Is there something specific they’re looking out for and what would be the best thing to bring/something to avoid?

Any advice would be great… the guidance for my interview is below.

“We would like you to prepare a two-minute presentation. Please think of an object or resource that is important to you, it could be anything, but some examples are: a book, a portfolio, or an object (artefact/photo) that reminds you of an important occasion. Prepare a two-minute presentation, all about the object. If possible, have the object with you. As we are looking at your potential for being a primary school teacher it would benefit you to be creative in your delivery. You may use prompt cards if you would find this helpful (due to time constraints the use of a computer presentation is not possible). This is an exercise to assess your presentation skills, we do ask that you do not simply read from the notes.”
Hello columba2004

Please do not worry too much about your object. That is not the point at all. It's there just to form a basis of your presentation.

Rather, you are being asked to deliver a two min presentation, that demonstrates that you are able to engage with an audience, tell the interviewers a little of yourself and to see your levels of creativity.

I would suggest that you consider an object that represents you as a trainee primary teacher. What are your hopes and dreams for this role and what is driving your ambition. Speak passionately and try to engage with the audience. Can you think of a way to get them to contribute too? Perhaps ask - 'Can you remember your first or most favourite teacher or lesson?'

I would certainly encourage you to PRACTICE your presentation, ideally with an audience prior to your interview. This will allow you to measure it for timing and also embed what you want to say, to prevent you from forgetting it when you get interview nerves!

As a matter of urgency, I would also suggest you ask for preparation support from a teacher training adviser. Register for one here. We're fully qualified teachers and expert in supporting people like yourself through this application. It's a free service and so you have nothing to lose!

Wishing you the very best of luck with your interview, and an exciting teaching career to come!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads