The Student Room Group

Cellular pathology lab job interview help please!

I have an Interview for a band 4 post (associate practitioner) in cellular pathology. I currently work as a band 2 in blood sciences. So I do have some lab experience. Just wondering if anyone has had an interview in this area of a lab and could give me some advice on what kind of questions they will ask? Thanks so much!
@daniellee0

Hi sorry you have had no help for so long - you might have already had your interview! If so, I hope you were offered a position.

If not [and tbh I have no personal experience of such jobs/interviews, but from first-hand experience of working in the NHS, I would say the following:-
I. Tactics
A]...Try to decide what direction the interview goes in RATHR THAN the interviewer always deciding - do this by
only saying answers to Qs that you know more about [in your case oc bring in blood, microcytic/macrocytic anaemia, blood groups, etc, or prefer talking about [no harm showing off your own expertise and csh in on your strengths + try to avoid bringing up any weaknesses - yes, cytology is quite often a technique used to detect/exclude malignancy, but erythrocytes/leukocytes are also cells.
B]... Have some Qs ready to ask them
C]... Keep cool & collected [easier said than done]

II. General principles of teamwork in the NHS:-
A]...How to handle awkward situations e.g. disagreement with a "big-headed matron" or a highly qualified/experienced consultant pathologist.
B]...GLP: know your general safety and procedural rules.
C]...Simple almost obvious things like having your white coat laundered and starched.
D]...Working in harmony with peers, superiors and subordinates alike.
E]...Current guidelines for COVID-19.

III. Technical - be ready with a few basics
A].....Major differences between normal \and diseased cells.
B]..... Know your basics of cyto/histopathology e.g. the 5 cardinal features of inflammation [rubor, dolor, tumor, calor and loss of function] and the microscopic appearance of neutrophils [e.g.], lymphocytes, mast cells [you will be familiar with these from your experience of haematology], and normal cells in other organs/tissues.

.....[ii] The appearance of necrotic tissue [e.g. fewer nuclei + pleomorphism]

.....[iii] General features of malignant change e.g. anaplasia.
C]...Common stains [Papanicolaou technique, H & E, etc]
D]... Some diagnoses that blare you in the face e.g. Howell-Jolly body in disease of the spleen.

Best of luck! I am sure you will kill it!

M.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest