niamh's 2022 wellbeing blog!

Watch
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hello and welcome to my 2022 wellbeing blog! i've never done one of these before and i'm a bit nervous about it but hopefully it'll hold me accountable.

my goals for 2022
1. lose weight
why i want to do this - trigger warning: weight

i'm 21 (will be 22 in just under 2 weeks), 5'5" (165cm) tall and started the year weighing 160lbs (72.6kg), which makes me overweight. i want to do something about that this year. i've always been a bit chubby even when i was a kid, and i always hoped it was something i'd grow out of but i never did. in the past couple of years (cheers covid) i've gained a significant amount of weight and gone up a couple of dress sizes (i started uni as a size 10 and now i’m a 14), and i'm just miserable. i went to my society's winter ball in december and looking back on the photos i just feel horrible and that's what made me realise i need to start taking this seriously. i graduate in july and don't want to hate the photos from it!

trigger warning: past disordered eating/ed habits

the only problem is, when i was in my first year of uni i spiralled quite a bit and fell into some really bad habits with food - i'm not sure you could call it a full blown eating disorder but i used to starve myself, really limit my calorie intake, excessively weigh myself and i was also on a really horrible side of twitter that i wish didn't exist. it's taken about 2 and a half years and some sessions with my uni wellbeing service but i like to think i'm out of that mindset for good now. whenever i try to lose weight there's always the temptation to go back to those old ways because i know it works and it works quickly, but i'm determined to stay healthy and i know it's going to be a long process. i know how to recognise things getting bad and i know that if they ever do then i will immediately stop calorie counting and focus on getting my mental state back into a good place.

how i'm going to do this - trigger warning: mention of weight and calories

i don't have a strict goal weight in mind but i'd say somewhere around the 120lbs (54.4kg) mark, as that's well within the healthy weight range for my height. i'd love to be a size 10 again but something tells me that's unrealistic for some reason, in any case i'd be happy if i was a borderline 10/12 :dontknow: i don't care how long it takes honestly, i don't want a quick fix.

i'm going to be calorie counting, i'm very inactive tbh and i've calculated my tdee using various websites and calculators and they've all said around 1700 cals, so i'm going to aim for around 1300 a day for a 400cal deficit and just less than a 1lb/week loss. obviously if i notice i'm too hungry/moody/tired etc i'll up this and go for slower weight loss, i'll keep a good eye on myself throughout. but i'm 4 days in already and feeling good so for now i'm gonna stick to this. i'll probably reassess if/when i start being more active lol

i've never really tracked macros before but i am vegetarian so have to watch my protein intake a bit. i'm also trying to cut down on sugary snacks but i have one hell of a sweet tooth so who knows how that will go.

the way i like to track my weight is to weigh myself every day but then take an average at the end of the week - i know it sounds bad but i prefer it bc it kind of gets rid of the fluctuations that can happen, i feel like it's more accurate. but again if i find myself getting obsessive then i'll stop weighing myself altogether and just go off how i look and how my clothes fit.

2. get fitter
why i want to do this

i've always been ridiculously unfit and quite embarrassed about it. i really enjoy sport and exercise and would like to be better at it. i started playing netball in october and i just know that i'd be so much better if i improved my fitness!

how i'm going to do this

i'm gonna try and hit my 10,000 steps as much as i can, i have a fitbit so this is easy to monitor. i've had a membership for my uni gym since october and i've never been :oops: so i'm going to brave it and go one day, and from there it'll be much easier to keep going. it really is the first-time nerves that are holding me back honestly, i was the same when i had a puregym membership lol. i'm also gonna start walking more and maybe doing some home workouts in my room on poor weather days when i don't wanna trek 45 mins to the sports centre.

3. drink 3L of water every day
why i want to do this

i've never ever drank enough water all my life, when i was a kid my grandma used to force me to have a drink all the time because i never would. i just really don't get thirsty at all, so i often just forget to drink. i've always liked water and can drink it no problem, and it's healthy, and i want better skin so it's a no brainer really. 3L is 4 lots of my water bottle which is definitely doable throughout a day, so i think it's a good amount. i've also heard that it makes you less tired so maybe i'll consume less coffee & fizzy drinks, my heart will thank me for that one lol

how i'm going to do this

as i've said above it's just drinking my full water bottle 4 times so it's not that hard. i have downloaded an app that reminds me to drink water every 2 hours so i'm less likely to forget to as well!

i'll be posting every day if i can, to try and hold myself accountable. but i am a busy person (masters student life :cry:) so i might not be able to manage it all the time

not doing a tag list cos that's annoying lmao

wish me luck eek!
niamh xx
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
gave myself new year's day off cos i was hungover lol

sunday 2nd january
weight
tw weight

160lbs, an all time high for me but tbh what better way to start :dontknow:

food
breakfast:
  • oat so simple strawberry, raspberry and cranberry sachet prepared with water

lunch:
didn't have, woke up late so had my breakfast at like midday

tea:
  • rigatoni pasta with tomato and roasted garlic sauce, quorn pieces and grated cheese
  • fried the quorn pieces in some oil

snacks:
  • kenco coffee sachet

tw calories

breakfast 129
lunch 0
tea 748
snacks 86
total 963

underrate today which is very bad - luckily i didn't leave the house today and just spent the whole day watching sport, so it's not *as* bad

exercise
none lol

steps
161 :facepalm:

water
all 3 litres!
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
monday 3rd january

weight
tw weight

158.8lbs

food
breakfast:
  • kenco caffe latte sachet

lunch:
  • wrap with guacamole, halloumi and sweet chilli sauce
  • fibre one cookies and cream protein bar
  • barbecue popchips

tea:
  • asparagus and new potato frittata with salad leaves

photo
this was v good, made 3 portions as well

snacks:
  • coconut yogurt

tw calories

breakfast 215
lunch 658
tea 332
snacks 64
total 1269

happy with this!

exercise
none again :oops:

steps

water
2250ml, struggled a bit towards the end of the day but still happy considering i'm used to less than 500ml a day
Last edited by niamhdoesmaths; 1 week ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Anything around 2litres of water a day is fine.

Good luck with this
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
tuesday 4th january

weight
tw weight

158.2lbs

food
breakfast:

lunch:
  • barbecue popchips

tea:

snacks:
  • banana
  • coconut yogurt

tw calories

breakfast 215
lunch 658
tea 332
snacks 169
total 1374

again happy with this!

exercise
walked to the library and back but that's it, about 25 mins each way

steps

water
1500ml, struggled to drink water in the library as i didn't wanna be peeing every 20 minutes :lol:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
wednesday 5th january

weight
tw weight

158.0lbs

food
breakfast:
  • kenco caffe latte sachet (only drank half)

lunch:
  • barbecue popchips

tea:

snacks:
  • medium latte with soya milk and sugar free caramel syrup from costa (gotta treat yourself sometimes yknow)
  • coconut yogurt

tw calories

breakfast 172
lunch 658
tea 332
snacks 159
total 1321

once again i'm happy with this!

exercise
walked to the library and back (25 mins each way) and also to morrisons and back (7 mins each way)

steps
8525, getting closer

water
2250ml, again didn't drink loads in the library but made up for it before and after
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Anything around 2litres of water a day is fine.

Good luck with this
prsom! i know, i'm hoping that if i aim for 3 litres and don't make it then i'll have had at least 2 or thereabouts

thank you!
eve9
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I love the idea of this blog!! I’ll be following along with you throughout the year, it’s nice to feel as though you’re doing these things with someone else also, that photo of your meal looks so good!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Cheering you on, my lovely, I hope you can begin to feel more comfortable and confident within yourself as time goes by, and that you can hit some of your goals in a safe way :penguinhug:

Posting to subscribe
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Following! Totally understand the anxiety and effort in losing weight - it's worth it on the other side (I've found) :yep: good luck! :hugs:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by eve9)
Hi, I love the idea of this blog!! I’ll be following along with you throughout the year, it’s nice to feel as though you’re doing these things with someone else also, that photo of your meal looks so good!
aw yay thank you! yeah company is definitely nice oh wow that means a lot! i'm really bad for being very lazy when it comes to meals and opting for convenience food over actually cooking - that's something i'm trying to work on this year!
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Cheering you on, my lovely, I hope you can begin to feel more comfortable and confident within yourself as time goes by, and that you can hit some of your goals in a safe way :penguinhug:

Posting to subscribe
thank you lovely :hugs: fingers crossed eh!
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Following! Totally understand the anxiety and effort in losing weight - it's worth it on the other side (I've found) :yep: good luck! :hugs:
thank you :jumphug: hopefully i'll manage to stick it out long enough to reach the other side!
eve9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hehe, I’m really bad for picking quick and easy food too. I’m definitely going to try cooking more this year. I was always making new meals and snacks during the first lockdown and really enjoyed it!
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by eve9)
Hehe, I’m really bad for picking quick and easy food too. I’m definitely going to try cooking more this year. I was always making new meals and snacks during the first lockdown and really enjoyed it!
i was the same! i cooked so much in 2nd year especially during the lockdown months but then really fell off the wagon with it. i do enjoy cooking as well so it's literally just down to laziness :lol:
eve9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
i was the same! i cooked so much in 2nd year especially during the lockdown months but then really fell off the wagon with it. i do enjoy cooking as well so it's literally just down to laziness :lol:
exactly!! it’s so much easier to just take something from the freezer and chuck it in the oven, but i’ve got to start eating properly😂
Angel in the sky
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Excellent blog well done and very good luck with it
I just wish I was able to put in as much effort as you x
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by eve9)
exactly!! it’s so much easier to just take something from the freezer and chuck it in the oven, but i’ve got to start eating properly😂
exactly :lol:
(Original post by Angel in the sky)
Excellent blog well done and very good luck with it
I just wish I was able to put in as much effort as you x
thank you!
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
thursday 6th january

weight
tw weight

157.2lbs

food
breakfast:

lunch:
  • barbecue popchips

tea:
  • cajun potatoes with quorn meatballs and loads of veggies

photo
this was very yummy (and filling)!

snacks:

• can of coke zero

• coconut yogurt

tw calories

breakfast 129
lunch 629
tea 355
snacks 151
total 1264

exercise
literally didn't leave the house today oops

steps
442 :facepalm:

water
only 1500ml, struggled to get going with it
flaurie
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Cheering you on, Niamh :rave: :hugs:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
PRSOM! Looks like you're doing really well already! :love: steps are always a tricky thing. I find I either do very few or loads, rarely an in between are you able to get a little walk around the area into your routine?
AestheticStudying
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
hello and welcome to my 2022 wellbeing blog! i've never done one of these before and i'm a bit nervous about it but hopefully it'll hold me accountable.

my goals for 2022
1. lose weight
why i want to do this - trigger warning: weight

i'm 21 (will be 22 in just under 2 weeks), 5'5" (165cm) tall and started the year weighing 160lbs (72.6kg), which makes me overweight. i want to do something about that this year. i've always been a bit chubby even when i was a kid, and i always hoped it was something i'd grow out of but i never did. in the past couple of years (cheers covid) i've gained a significant amount of weight and gone up a couple of dress sizes (i started uni as a size 10 and now i’m a 14), and i'm just miserable. i went to my society's winter ball in december and looking back on the photos i just feel horrible and that's what made me realise i need to start taking this seriously. i graduate in july and don't want to hate the photos from it!

trigger warning: past disordered eating/ed habits

the only problem is, when i was in my first year of uni i spiralled quite a bit and fell into some really bad habits with food - i'm not sure you could call it a full blown eating disorder but i used to starve myself, really limit my calorie intake, excessively weigh myself and i was also on a really horrible side of twitter that i wish didn't exist. it's taken about 2 and a half years and some sessions with my uni wellbeing service but i like to think i'm out of that mindset for good now. whenever i try to lose weight there's always the temptation to go back to those old ways because i know it works and it works quickly, but i'm determined to stay healthy and i know it's going to be a long process. i know how to recognise things getting bad and i know that if they ever do then i will immediately stop calorie counting and focus on getting my mental state back into a good place.

how i'm going to do this - trigger warning: mention of weight and calories

i don't have a strict goal weight in mind but i'd say somewhere around the 120lbs (54.4kg) mark, as that's well within the healthy weight range for my height. i'd love to be a size 10 again but something tells me that's unrealistic for some reason, in any case i'd be happy if i was a borderline 10/12 :dontknow: i don't care how long it takes honestly, i don't want a quick fix.

i'm going to be calorie counting, i'm very inactive tbh and i've calculated my tdee using various websites and calculators and they've all said around 1700 cals, so i'm going to aim for around 1300 a day for a 400cal deficit and just less than a 1lb/week loss. obviously if i notice i'm too hungry/moody/tired etc i'll up this and go for slower weight loss, i'll keep a good eye on myself throughout. but i'm 4 days in already and feeling good so for now i'm gonna stick to this. i'll probably reassess if/when i start being more active lol

i've never really tracked macros before but i am vegetarian so have to watch my protein intake a bit. i'm also trying to cut down on sugary snacks but i have one hell of a sweet tooth so who knows how that will go.

the way i like to track my weight is to weigh myself every day but then take an average at the end of the week - i know it sounds bad but i prefer it bc it kind of gets rid of the fluctuations that can happen, i feel like it's more accurate. but again if i find myself getting obsessive then i'll stop weighing myself altogether and just go off how i look and how my clothes fit.

2. get fitter
why i want to do this

i've always been ridiculously unfit and quite embarrassed about it. i really enjoy sport and exercise and would like to be better at it. i started playing netball in october and i just know that i'd be so much better if i improved my fitness!

how i'm going to do this

i'm gonna try and hit my 10,000 steps as much as i can, i have a fitbit so this is easy to monitor. i've had a membership for my uni gym since october and i've never been :oops: so i'm going to brave it and go one day, and from there it'll be much easier to keep going. it really is the first-time nerves that are holding me back honestly, i was the same when i had a puregym membership lol. i'm also gonna start walking more and maybe doing some home workouts in my room on poor weather days when i don't wanna trek 45 mins to the sports centre.

3. drink 3L of water every day
why i want to do this

i've never ever drank enough water all my life, when i was a kid my grandma used to force me to have a drink all the time because i never would. i just really don't get thirsty at all, so i often just forget to drink. i've always liked water and can drink it no problem, and it's healthy, and i want better skin so it's a no brainer really. 3L is 4 lots of my water bottle which is definitely doable throughout a day, so i think it's a good amount. i've also heard that it makes you less tired so maybe i'll consume less coffee & fizzy drinks, my heart will thank me for that one lol

how i'm going to do this

as i've said above it's just drinking my full water bottle 4 times so it's not that hard. i have downloaded an app that reminds me to drink water every 2 hours so i'm less likely to forget to as well!

i'll be posting every day if i can, to try and hold myself accountable. but i am a busy person (masters student life :cry:) so i might not be able to manage it all the time

not doing a tag list cos that's annoying lmao

wish me luck eek!
niamh xx
Omg I love this! Good luck with all ur goals Niamh! :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.62%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.22%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.44%

Watched Threads