The Student Room Group

Is Latin a humanity (GCSE)?

Latin (50% language and 50% Roman lifestyle) is considered a humanity in my school. Is it also considered that in general/for other schools?

*At GCSE
Most schools don't offer GCSE latin
As stated above, most schools don't offer GCSE Latin.

However Latin comes under Arts and Humanities generally, yes, as it ties in with Classics.
Reply 3
The DfE do not regard it as a humanity but as a language. Why does it matter?
It's a language subject. Whether you consider languages humanities or their own category is another debate...

Classics at degree level, while including the languages, is considered a humanities degree because it also includes more textual work involving literary criticism, philosophical argumentation, historical analysis etc. But at GCSE level you are only studying one area per GCSE so you could do Latin, Greek, and clascial civilization as separate GCSEs; the latter is a humanities subject, the former two languages.
Original post by artful_lounger
It's a language subject. Whether you consider languages humanities or their own category is another debate...

Classics at degree level, while including the languages, is considered a humanities degree because it also includes more textual work involving literary criticism, philosophical argumentation, historical analysis etc. But at GCSE level you are only studying one area per GCSE so you could do Latin, Greek, and clascial civilization as separate GCSEs; the latter is a humanities subject, the former two languages.

I stand corrected
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I stand corrected

To be fair you aren't necessarily wrong - one can make a compelling argument that languages are humanities subjects themselves :smile: The question of whether languages are a subset of the humanities or a separate set of subjects entirely isn't entirely clear cut though I think?

Also as noted by other users it doesn't really matter as it's just nomenclature really and doesn't have much bearing on the actual content of the subject (or whether one ought to take it or not!) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest