The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Can I choose to share a room?

Thinking of applying to Durham next year, and I was kind of confused by how the whole college and accommodation thing works.

I've noticed the accomodation fees are reduced if you share a room and I'm trying to save up on money as much as possible, so is it possible to specifically request a shared room?
Original post by novayoons
Thinking of applying to Durham next year, and I was kind of confused by how the whole college and accommodation thing works.

I've noticed the accomodation fees are reduced if you share a room and I'm trying to save up on money as much as possible, so is it possible to specifically request a shared room?

Hey there @novayoons, glad to hear you're considering Durham!

You're correct- the accommodation fee is reduced if you get a shared room. After applications close, you get a form to fill out your college preferences. You might want to fill out the colleges that have the maximum number of shared rooms available to increase your chances of getting one.

After you are allocated to a college, you are then sent a preference form directly by your college where you can choose what kind of a room you would like. In that, you can opt for a shared room. This is purely subject to availability but in most cases, you do get the room of your choice. Note that if you're under 18, you will not be allocated a shared room.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any further questions and good luck with your application :wink:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest