Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having problems with the CoM questions on most of the past papers...
    i am stuck on how to calculate the centre of mass of all triangles!!

can someone plz explain it to me, or if you have a website that might help ... that would be great as well!!!

THX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)

can someone plz explain it to me, or if you have a website that might help ... that would be great as well!!!

THX
    Draw a dotted line from the midpoint of one edge to the vertex of the opposite side.
    The COM is 1/3 of the distance from the end which touches the midpoint to the end which touches the vertex.
    To find the exact coordinates, consider the horizontal and vertical components seperately.
    For example, if a line goes 6 across and 3 down, then the COM is (1/3)(6) = 2 across and (1/3)(3) down = 1 down, from the position of the mid point of the edge.

ReputationRep:

THX
    Draw the triangle and join the mid-point of each side to the opposite vertex. The intersection of the 3 lines is the CoM.

Also

draw the triangle with one side on the x-axis, and draw the other 2 sides.

measure one-third up each of these 2 sides and draw a line joining the points. Ybar is on this line.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Draw the triangle and join the mid-point of each side to the opposite vertex. The intersection of the 3 lines is the CoM.

Also

draw the triangle with one side on the x-axis, and draw the other 2 sides.

measure one-third up each of these 2 sides and draw a line joining the points. Ybar is on this line.

Aitch
    thx, yeah i understand that its 1/3 the distance from the median (from the midpoint end).

but is there any simple way to calculate this mathematicall... without having to draw the lines and measure it?

i remember my teacher mentioning something about similar triagles to calculate it?? possible?

ReputationRep:
    thx, yeah i understand that its 1/3 the distance from the median (from the midpoint end).

but is there any simple way to calculate this mathematicall... without having to draw the lines and measure it?
    If you've got a question you're stuck on, put it up. It's easier to do an example, particularly if there's a certain type of question that yuou get stuck on.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    If you've got a question you're stuck on, put it up. It's easier to do an example, particularly if there's a certain type of question that yuou get stuck on.

Aitch
    alrighty, thanks... watch this space

ReputationRep:

i remember my teacher mentioning something about similar triagles to calculate it?? possible?
    You don't have to measure anything.
    Perhaps this can help things. After you begin to understand it becomes intuitive.

http://img113.exs.cx/img113/7126/swscan000934xh.jpg

ReputationRep:

Yes, let's take an easy example

Triangle A(0,0) B(3,9) C(0,12)

Can you see that if you calculate or measure 1/3 along AB and CB you are actually creating similar triangles? Similarly for AC and BC?

ReputationRep:
    alrighty, thanks... watch this space
    I think Gaz031 and I both have the Edexcel Heinemann M2 text. He can correct me if I'm wrong!! He may not have it with him of course...

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    A way of looking at it.

Get the mid point of AB (X) , and midpoint of AC (Y). If you then draw the lines accordingly. The point at which they over lap, 'G', will be the CoM, given that ABC is a uniform lamina.

Also, as a result you have similar triangles all over the place - so loads of proportional values :-)

You also know that that the CoM of a uniform lamina is 2/3 the way down the line from a vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side of that vertex.

i.e. you know GC = (2/3)XC

So now, you should be able to work out any value, given the necessary values by using the idea of similar triangles/proportional lines.

Hope that helps.

MdSalih

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2005

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.