is memorising past paper mark schemes effective for revision?

Watch
username222g
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I have mocks next week so don't have enough time to cover the content. Is memorising how to answer questions from the mark scheme effective? This is for Biology
0ptics
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
If you understand the content, yes. If you don’t understand the content, it most likely wouldn’t help.
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
For Biology, you have to apply your knowledge to the question. I do think that there is a lot that you are are familiar with already, don’t you have any notes that you can look through? Studying model answers does work but that also depends on if you know the topic that is asked first.

I think that there might be useful resources on Quizlet, if you don’t have any notes or revision texts to revise from.
starinthenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I think so it works for me
Last edited by starinthenight; 1 week ago
username222g
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by wifd149)
For Biology, you have to apply your knowledge to the question. I do think that there is a lot that you are are familiar with already, don’t you have any notes that you can look through? Studying model answers does work but that also depends on if you know the topic that is asked first.

I think that there might be useful resources on Quizlet, if you don’t have any notes or revision texts to revise from.
Thank you, I'll have a look on Quizlet for that as I don't have any notes or anything. I'm familiar with the content but don't know much off by heart. Because there's so much to learn by Monday, I started making quizlet cards on past paper questions and putting the answers on one side to go through and remember them as I know similar questions come up year-on-year. However I do remember one of my teachers saying she didn't like people learning them but not sure why, is it like cheating?
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username222g)
Thank you, I'll have a look on Quizlet for that as I don't have any notes or anything. I'm familiar with the content but don't know much off by heart. Because there's so much to learn by Monday, I started making quizlet cards on past paper questions and putting the answers on one side to go through and remember them as I know similar questions come up year-on-year. However I do remember one of my teachers saying she didn't like people learning them but not sure why, is it like cheating?
Not really, memorising model answers does help in the long/short essay sections and on some questions asking about the concept. I don’t know how each exam board’s Biology papers are like, but I am certain that there has to be problem solving questions and MCQs. If you have been paying attention in class, then chances are memorising model answers will trigger your memory and understanding of the topic. Otherwise I’m not sure how it could help in the problem solving questions, maybe your teacher just finds it counterproductive? Many students would have done past year papers anyway so I don’t think that cheating would be the issue in most cases.
Snowbearchoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Try using anki
Medcalf
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Hi, I have mocks next week so don't have enough time to cover the content. Is memorising how to answer questions from the mark scheme effective? This is for Biology
In my opinion, no it is not a good idea to memorise mark schemes fully. It may be a good idea to memorise key aspects such as "Effective thorough evaluation" for example but do not memorise specifics. I would much rather suggest you start reading and memorising examiners reports because that's how you can prevent yourself from making silly mistakes and get the best marks possible.
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Hi there.

Memorising the mark scheme for long answer Qs (Typically a few 4-5 marks Qs at the end of the paper) can be highly beneficial to maximise your chances of gaining a full 20 marks and this can also save valuable time in the exam.

As other users have said revising mark schemes for the entire paper isn't effective as there are application and data interpretation Qs which require you to use your knowledge/the data given to answer the Q.

Best wishes.
ll ACR ll
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
sorta. In maths and further maths, it helps a lot since there is always a trend within what question may or may not come up. In terms of biology, its ok.
Last edited by ll ACR ll; 1 day ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads