How are people ‘naturally clever’?

Watch
fhjskssskbwhhw
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
There are people of I know who get consistent 7s-8s without revision, how is this? I have been revising everyday and I listen in class etc but yet my memory is so bad it takes me double the effort of what it thats them to remember something. I get 6s-7s with the occasional predicted 9 which i’m very happy with but I feel like it is slightly unfair that some of the people that do best do less than what some people who do worse do.
bxcs
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fhjskssskbwhhw)
There are people of I know who get consistent 7s-8s without revision, how is this? I have been revising everyday and I listen in class etc but yet my memory is so bad it takes me double the effort of what it thats them to remember something. I get 6s-7s with the occasional predicted 9 which i’m very happy with but I feel like it is slightly unfair that some of the people that do best do less than what some people who do worse do.
I know for my friend she is just naturally good at regurgitating information, which makes subjects that are just learning outcomes (which is practically all subjects but especially biology) very easy for her. Her memory skills are really good but if you put her into a biology olympiad where it's not just spewing up whatever the SQA tells you to say, she doesn't do as well in it.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Memory recall and regurgitation is not the same as "clever". Intelligence is more than just memory recall. It includes common sense, problem solving, general knowledge and so much more.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone with high grades is clever.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 week ago
TFEU
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
-High grades does not mean they are 'clever'.
-Revising 'harder' for 'longer' does not always mean higher grades. Study smarter > harder.
-Just because you don't see them revise does not mean they don't revise.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
black magic
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Some people are just naturally good at school subjects without having to put any effort in. However, it's not the blessing that it might seem. These are the people who are going to struggle more as they progress in their education because they aren't properly learning how to study/revise at school age. I know a number of people who were like this in school who ended up dropping out of college/university thinking they weren't smart enough for their course when really they just hadn't learned the necessary skills to do well. For those who do persevere it can be a bit of a shock having to learn the basics of how to properly study/revise in their late teens or early twenties.
Last edited by 1582; 1 week ago
y_4hya
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I don't believe in "natural intelligence." that much. I remember everyone thinking I was a genius but all that happened was that my dad brought me sets of non-fiction books and encyclopedias which I read for fun, so I was essentially smart without doing a lot of work.

In case people start thinking this is a humblebrag, this no longer holds up as I don't really read non fiction as much, and my grades are slipping.
tinyperson
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Skills and qualities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (73)
13.15%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.62%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.59%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
7.93%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (269)
48.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.24%

Watched Threads