The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel IGCSE January 2022 - All Subjects!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashan6886
The vectors question was hard yet, the last curve question was easy. It needed simultaneous equations to be formed from the given data. By the way, do you think grade boundaries will be lower due to covid this time or not?

Grade boundaries are set once all the marks have been collected. They're determined based on how well or how poorly everyone did on the exam.

For example, if everyone did particularly well, the grade boundaries tend to be higher.

If everyone did particularly poorly, the grade boundaries will be lower.
Reply 21
Original post by dbhc2411
Grade boundaries are set once all the marks have been collected. They're determined based on how well or how poorly everyone did on the exam.

For example, if everyone did particularly well, the grade boundaries tend to be higher.

If everyone did particularly poorly, the grade boundaries will be lower.

This happens when exams are conducted under normal circumstances. Ofqual has it published everywhere that from summer grade boundaries will start to increase if covid gets finished however these sessions will have lower grade boundaries to compensate for the damage covid and lockdown has caused to student.

Secondly if you see the grade boundaries before the pandemic, they were higher; after the pandemic, the boundaries have been lower.
Original post by Ashan6886
This happens when exams are conducted under normal circumstances. Ofqual has it published everywhere that from summer grade boundaries will start to increase if covid gets finished however these sessions will have lower grade boundaries to compensate for the damage covid and lockdown has caused to student.

Secondly if you see the grade boundaries before the pandemic, they were higher; after the pandemic, the boundaries have been lower.

Have you got any sources for this? It would be an interesting read. I would have thought boundaries would have been lower during COVID due to the collective poorer results people received in IGCSE exams?
Reply 23
Original post by dbhc2411
Have you got any sources for this? It would be an interesting read. I would have thought boundaries would have been lower during COVID due to the collective poorer results people received in IGCSE exams?

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ofquals-approach-to-grading-exams-and-assessments-in-summer-2022-and-autumn-2021

You can search for other links too that have ofquals approach towards marking and grade boundaries.
any idea what the extract could be?? i have my exam tomorrow and kinda freaking out!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by justcoconala20
any idea what the extract could be?? i have my exam tomorrow and kinda freaking out!

English A?
Reply 26
How did everyone find Maths A 2H?
Reply 27
I thought the maths paper was on Friday. Is this igcse edexcel or another exam board?
Reply 28
I thought the maths paper was on Friday. Is this igcse edexcel or another exam board?
this was for January 2022
hey guys! could any of u pls help? Im giving my IGCSE exams in 2023 January session and I have 4 subjects. I heard that the January exams are generally harder than the summer exams. this is kinda stressing me out, since y'all have given exams in Jan session already, is this true? I feel like if they make the exams harder and if students don't do quite well, they'll lower the grade boundaries and vice versa.
Original post by kiara addison
hey guys! could any of u pls help? Im giving my IGCSE exams in 2023 January session and I have 4 subjects. I heard that the January exams are generally harder than the summer exams. this is kinda stressing me out, since y'all have given exams in Jan session already, is this true? I feel like if they make the exams harder and if students don't do quite well, they'll lower the grade boundaries and vice versa.

That's just a myth. Nice to see that myth is still going around (when I was at school over a decade ago, people theorised that January exams were harder too!)

I think why they may seem harder is because you've just had Christmas, it's cold, and there's less of a focus on revision at schools during January exams in comparison to the summer exams.

When I did past papers, I saw no difference in difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest