The Student Room Group

Criminal psychology

I'm looking at doing criminal psychology but I don't know what the best a-levels to take would be . I want some that will also give me a wide option in case I change carrier.
i'm planning to go into forensic psychology and i picked psychology, sociology and law. i'm now in second year and they've been really helpful and relevant to the field!
Just be aware that an undergraduate degree is not enough to be be 'a Psychologist' - you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and experience - see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist and https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/forensic-psychologist

If you arer interested in this area, look at courses in Counselling, Mental Health Nursing, Social Work etc
Criminal psychology isn't really a 'thing' in the UK, it's an American term. The subject areas most similar over here are forensic psychology and criminology. You don't need an A level in psychology for either but an essay based subject would be helpful and also maths/biology if you want to go into psychology.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Immy....
I'm looking at doing criminal psychology but I don't know what the best a-levels to take would be . I want some that will also give me a wide option in case I change carrier.

Hello,

Each university will have different requirements but most A-Level options are generally suitable Psychology! Subjects such as law, sociology, psychology etc. will give you good practice at thinking critically and writing essay style questions. The maths aspect of psychology is more statistics based so I wouldn't advise taking Maths at A-Level solely for this purpose unless it's something you enjoy and are good at. The biological aspect is important but it is taught thoroughly on most psych degree courses so what I said about Maths is also relevant to A-Level Biology.

If you want to truly keep things varied, I'd suggest taking a range of subjects - maybe one science subject, one humanities subject and maybe a language or a creative subject. I think the most important thing to when you're selecting A-Level's is to pick things that you're good at and thing's that you will enjoy. Getting the best grades possible will open up more options in terms of degrees than the actual subjects themselves (unless you're applying for a specific vocation such as medicine).

All the best :smile:
-Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student

Quick Reply

Latest