The Student Room Group

Started New Job, But Saw A Better On: Should I Apply?

Hello!

So, I started a new job working in a Vets at the beginning of this month. It's not my dream job but I thought it would be more interesting than retail (which I've been doing for 10 years).

Anyways, I've seen a trainee journalist position that I'm really interested in and would love to progress in. My main job interests are graphic design, content creation, copywriting, editorial design and media. So this job sounds great; it's much closer to the field I'm interested in and went to Uni for and it's a lot closer to home (I'm a carer for my Mum so being closer is better for us both)

The new job being quite a way from home has been giving me a fair bit of anxiety; feelings of dread, emotional, stomach ache, nausia, lack of sleep blah blah. I'm trying to hide it from my Mum but I can't eat properly and she'll notice sooner or later something is wrong because I'm usually always eating 😂

On one hand I think I should give it more time, on the other I don't want to miss out on the other opportunity.

How would you go about leaving a job so soon? Has anyone had this experience? Should I be honest with the potential new employer? Should I include the Vets job on my CV when I apply?

Any advice welcome!
Original post by MissAmyJ
Hello!

So, I started a new job working in a Vets at the beginning of this month. It's not my dream job but I thought it would be more interesting than retail (which I've been doing for 10 years).

Anyways, I've seen a trainee journalist position that I'm really interested in and would love to progress in. My main job interests are graphic design, content creation, copywriting, editorial design and media. So this job sounds great; it's much closer to the field I'm interested in and went to Uni for and it's a lot closer to home (I'm a carer for my Mum so being closer is better for us both)

The new job being quite a way from home has been giving me a fair bit of anxiety; feelings of dread, emotional, stomach ache, nausia, lack of sleep blah blah. I'm trying to hide it from my Mum but I can't eat properly and she'll notice sooner or later something is wrong because I'm usually always eating 😂

On one hand I think I should give it more time, on the other I don't want to miss out on the other opportunity.

How would you go about leaving a job so soon? Has anyone had this experience? Should I be honest with the potential new employer? Should I include the Vets job on my CV when I apply?

Any advice welcome!

I'd deffo apply for the other job.
People leave jobs all the time. Yes you may not have been at your current job long, but you have good reasons for going for the other job. As long as you do everything properly i.e. hand in your notice, work the proper notice period etc then you will be fine.

Like you say, it's in a career area you are more interested in, in an career area you went to uni for and it's closer to home. So it would be foolish to not apply and at least try to get the job. Obviously you aren't 100% guaranteed to get it but it's deffo worth a try. And you will have gained transferrable skills and experience etc from your current job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending