University Personal statement

Watch this thread
Lozyjoe
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Any help, advice or tips on how best to start a personal statement?
luke.j92
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
hiya,

start off simply by putting what you want to do with your degree. then put your strengths in relation to this, and briefly outline any experience or work you've put into the subject (put more detail later on)
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
"I realised I wanted to study ...... at University when ........"

Lots of good tips and advice here - the online guide mentioned at the end has lots of good/bad PS examples took at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lozyjoe)
Hi there!

I’m Konnie, a postgraduate Creative Writing student at De Montfort University. 😊

Starting a personal statement can be tricky, and there are so many ways in which people approach it. I wouldn’t say there is any ‘set’ way of starting one – most of the time it is down to the individual, and their style. 😊

If you are struggling, I would recommend writing the rest of your personal statement first. Usually, when you do this, you’ll find that an introduction will come to you naturally.

Don’t forget that you can also access lots of help and advice online! DMU has a personal statement video on YouTube that you can watch, too, and I’ll attach the link here for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kYmMH_CBo.

Good luck!

Konnie
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lozyjoe)
Hi Lozyjoe,

Leave your opening line until last and just try and simply get some ideas down on paper. Don't try to think of a catchy opening, instead plan what you want to say, focus on the structure, concentrate on the main content of your personal statement and write the introduction last.
Your personal statement needs to show off who you are, which is very easy to lose whilst speaking about your achievements or including quotes from others. A straightforward sentence that exhibits your enthusiasm is much better than trying to get their attention with an outdated statement or a quote.
Brainstorm ideas of what you want to include in your personal statement and why you love the subject that you are applying for!
Always remember to answer the question, instead of writing about yourself with no direction, check that every bit of the personal statement is answering the question. For example when you are talking about your strengths, use examples to highlight what you are saying where it is applicable.

I hope this helps and all the best with your personal statement!

Nashreen - ULaw Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (25)
23.36%
The paper was reasonable (48)
44.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
21.5%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.28%

Watched Threads