Year 1, Take 2. (GYG)

Watch
Gefforyson
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
It might be a little unusual to start a grow your grades blog in the middle of the school year but hey, I found this useful last time, maybe it'll help again this year. .
I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶r̶a̶s̶t̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶

As the title hints at, I'm a Uni student who's reattempting first year, after barely failing it the first time around. I'm at Bath University studying a Bsc in Mathematics.
If you want to see my first blog (started last July), and my feeble failed attempt at redeeming a year of underwork with only a few weeks and 2 exams; the link is here

The main thing I've learned from year 1 is: don't target 40%. Sure, first year doesn't count towards the degree, and sure extra work might seem unnecessary at the time, but when you end up averaging 39.6% and are forced to retake the whole year, you'll regret it.

But anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. Here is what preceded my Uni experience, as copied from last blog.

Education History:

GCSE and A-Level:
Spoiler:
Show

GCSE:
7 9's, 3 7's, and 3 6's (or equivalent, I had a few letters in the mix my year)

A-level Grades:A* Further Maths
A* Maths
A Physics

(Not sit formally, but delayed due to coronavirus.)

Uni Year 1 Take 1
Spoiler:
Show

First Term Uni:MA10207 Analysis 1: Exam 1: 41%
MA10265 Programming and discrete mathematics: Exam 1: 58%Coursework 1: 88%
MA10209 Algebra 1A: 57%
MA10211 Probability & statistics 1A: Exam 1: 45%
MA10230 Multivariable calculus and differential equations: Exam 1: 38% Image

I wasn't happy with this term at the time, and committed myself to doing better next time, I failed my Calculus exam, I've never failed an exam in my life before, I promised myself I wouldn't make this a habit...

But then Semester 2 hit me like a tonne of bricks.

Second Term Uni:
MA10207 Analysis 1: Exam 2: DEFERRED 29
MA10265 Programming and discrete mathematics:Exam 2: 27%Coursework 2: 45%
MA10210 Algebra 1B: Exam 1: DEFERRED 40
MA10212 Coursework 1,2,3,4: 40%,48%,0%,0% Exam 1: 22%
MA10236 Vectors, vector calculus and mechanics: Exam 1: 12%

Oh dear, look at all that red!

My year end, weighted average was 39.6%. Just shy of the 40% needed to pass and progress to year 2. So yeah, this is why I'm retaking first year.

Tl;Dr: GCSE's and A-levels went well
Semester 1 last year went ok but not great
And, Semester 2 I just failed completely:mad:.

But... Things have and will change this year in Uni. I still believe getting a maths degree is important to me, and I am still pursuing my education. So I'm retaking the course at the same Uni a second time around. This time I'm finding it a lot easier to keep up with the workload, and problem sheets, seeing as the content is mostly the same as the content I did last year.

I've still managed to procrastinate revision for the upcoming exams a lot, but I'm confident I'll get not just a passing grade, but a good grade this time around.

Key Dates:
Semester 1 Exams:
Stats- 14th January
Algebra- 18th January
Analysis- 24th January
Calculus- 26th January
Semester 2 Start: February 7th

About me: Other than being a shortcoming University student, I'm a keen cyclist :bike: and runner :run:. I do weekly 5k parkruns, and am hoping to dedicate time to improve at running. I read a lot of fiction, engage in internet debates :cyber:, and enjoy chess.

Tasks recently done: For the weeks after Christmas, I've been working slowly through the first Semester's lecture's and recapping problem sheets (as well as reattempting the few that I didn't do so well on first time around).

Current To-Do List: :work: : Finish recapping course content for Statistics.
Recap most of the course content covered in Algebra.
Complete 5 past papers, 2 Stats and 1 for each other unit.

Plans for This Blog:
I will make 1 post every 4 days over this first exam period, then I'll try to keep it up but less frequent after these exams have finished.
In these posts I'll expand a little on what's written above, as well as outlining how my revision is going and setting myself concrete, accountable targets and to do lists for me to complete.
I'll read every comment posted here, and may respond to a few if anything is interesting. I can add a tag list to my posts if people want that too.
It's possible no one will even see this blog, but it'll be useful for me to keep myself accountable, and as a diary to clarify and record my thoughts of this time too.
Hey you if you're reading this, congrats on getting to the bottom!

Post#1
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Starts: 7
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 20
Exams Completed: 0/4
Gefforyson
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Quick Update on how revision is going for me:

Things are going well enough. I had a little hiccup in my study schedule when trying to ramp up from 1-2 hours to 8 hours a day immediately, but I've still managed to get a good number of hours done each day, and am steadily working through past papers.
My Sleep schedule :sleep: is getting better, and more consistent too which I'm grateful for. I'm currently in a good habit of sleeping at 11:30 and waking at 8:00, this will put me in a good place for the exams, which are all virtual, but have to be started at 9:30 a.m.

Tasks recently done::deal: During this study time, I've mostly been focusing on the Probability and Stats paper that I have coming up first, but I've also spent several hours on Algebra and a little time on Calculus. This time includes recapping many prior weeks notes and problem sheets, looking on youtube tutorials to further clarify a few concepts I'm still uncertain on, and completing several past papers. The past paper completions haven't all gone perfectly smoothly, I'll be honest. This is partially due to the course content having added some new material, and removed some of the old stuff,

Current To-Do List::work: My probability and stats paper is on Friday morning, so until then revision will be solely focused on finalising my understanding there. I have two 2 hour papers left that I should be able to complete, then go through in detail tomorrow, and this will make up the bulk of my revision tomorrow.
After the stats paper, there's another 4 days till my Algebra paper, and I'll be solely covering Algebra content in that time, hopefully completing the other 4 of 5 past papers I have, and recapping the last few weeks of course content again.

Post#2
Overall mood:
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Starts: 2
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 15
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gefforyson)
Quick Update on how revision is going for me:

Things are going well enough. I had a little hiccup in my study schedule when trying to ramp up from 1-2 hours to 8 hours a day immediately, but I've still managed to get a good number of hours done each day, and am steadily working through past papers.
My Sleep schedule :sleep: is getting better, and more consistent too which I'm grateful for. I'm currently in a good habit of sleeping at 11:30 and waking at 8:00, this will put me in a good place for the exams, which are all virtual, but have to be started at 9:30 a.m.

Tasks recently done::deal: During this study time, I've mostly been focusing on the Probability and Stats paper that I have coming up first, but I've also spent several hours on Algebra and a little time on Calculus. This time includes recapping many prior weeks notes and problem sheets, looking on youtube tutorials to further clarify a few concepts I'm still uncertain on, and completing several past papers. The past paper completions haven't all gone perfectly smoothly, I'll be honest. This is partially due to the course content having added some new material, and removed some of the old stuff,

Current To-Do List::work: My probability and stats paper is on Friday morning, so until then revision will be solely focused on finalising my understanding there. I have two 2 hour papers left that I should be able to complete, then go through in detail tomorrow, and this will make up the bulk of my revision tomorrow.
After the stats paper, there's another 4 days till my Algebra paper, and I'll be solely covering Algebra content in that time, hopefully completing the other 4 of 5 past papers I have, and recapping the last few weeks of course content again.

Post#2
Overall mood:
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Starts: 2
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 15
You got this mate! :rave:
Gefforyson
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Things are going well with my exams! This is a pleasant change from how my last two exam seasons have been... Things are in no way perfect, but I've completed two out of the four January exams I have to do, and I'm happy with my submissions, and happy with the course content that I'm yet to be tested on.

I have 6 days until my Analysis Paper, and then only a 1 day gap between that and my final paper, a Calculus paper. I'm thus trying to do past papers, and revision in both of them in the next couple of days, then 2 days or so before the exam, I'll switch to focusing solely on the one to come first.

Tasks recently done::deal: Between this and last post, I've worked fairly well, but not perfectly. I've done a fair few past papers, 2 proper exams, and lots of retrying of problem sheet questions - I find this a useful technique I haven't really done much before. Questions that I've done once before still have utility, and practicing not just until I get them right, but until I don't get them wrong I think is in general a good life principle.

Current To-Do List::work: I'll continue to keep up revision habits until this exam period is over. Past-papers-a-plenty will hopefully prepare me will for my final 2 exams.

Post#3
Overall mood:
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 8
Exams Completed: 2/4
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Things are going well with my exams! This is a pleasant change from how my last two exam seasons have been... Things are in no way perfect, but I've completed two out of the four January exams I have to do, and I'm happy with my submissions, and happy with the course content that I'm yet to be tested on.

I have 6 days until my Analysis Paper, and then only a 1 day gap between that and my final paper, a Calculus paper. I'm thus trying to do past papers, and revision in both of them in the next couple of days, then 2 days or so before the exam, I'll switch to focusing solely on the one to come first.

Tasks recently done::deal: Between this and last post, I've worked fairly well, but not perfectly. I've done a fair few past papers, 2 proper exams, and lots of retrying of problem sheet questions - I find this a useful technique I haven't really done much before. Questions that I've done once before still have utility, and practicing not just until I get them right, but until I don't get them wrong I think is in general a good life principle.

Current To-Do List::work: I'll continue to keep up revision habits until this exam period is over. Past-papers-a-plenty will hopefully prepare me will for my final 2 exams.

Post#3
Overall mood:
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 8
Congrats! Sounds like you're doing really well

MP
Gefforyson
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Things are no longer going well with my exams... I'm still happy with how my first two papers went, but revision for these next two has been tough. I think I'll struggle with this next paper, Analysis, and then find the Calculus paper hard but manageable. I reckon I should be able to scrape a pass in both of them, but results won't be as high as I'd once hoped.

It's weird... Revising these topics now, the subjects seem a whole different beast than how they'd seemed when I studied them during term time.

There's not long I have left before this period is over though, so I'm trying to just keep pushing through it, and keep studying hard right up until the end.

Post#4
Overall mood::eek:
Days until Semester 1 Exam Period Ends: 3
wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
As long as you get through them mate You're definitely having more progress now than before and your university journey isn't ending yet.
Gefforyson
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by wifd149)
As long as you get through them mate You're definitely having more progress now than before and your university journey isn't ending yet.
Thanks for the support! Yeah, I think this Semester I've definitely made more progress, and put a bit more effort in than in past terms. I still realise I'm not putting in enough time and focus though, and I hope I can change that for the entirety of next Semester, not just the exam period.

Starting Uni in a lockdown is an experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone, and I feel that the massive change in learning-style messed me up massively in my first year 1. Of course, lockdown is not totally to blame, and I should, and do, accept much of the responsibility for my first year failures. The virtual learning was definitely something that kicked me while I was down though, and made it a lot harder to engage with the lectures.

I do think I'm capable of more than just passing if I put my mind to it though. In the past, just scraping a past has been my only goal, but I think I'll enjoy the subject a lot more if I put in more than just the bare minimum effort, and truly understand all content we're taught.
wifd149
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Thanks for the support! Yeah, I think this Semester I've definitely made more progress, and put a bit more effort in than in past terms. I still realise I'm not putting in enough time and focus though, and I hope I can change that for the entirety of next Semester, not just the exam period.

Starting Uni in a lockdown is an experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone, and I feel that the massive change in learning-style messed me up massively in my first year 1. Of course, lockdown is not totally to blame, and I should, and do, accept much of the responsibility for my first year failures. The virtual learning was definitely something that kicked me while I was down though, and made it a lot harder to engage with the lectures.

I do think I'm capable of more than just passing if I put my mind to it though. In the past, just scraping a past has been my only goal, but I think I'll enjoy the subject a lot more if I put in more than just the bare minimum effort, and truly understand all content we're taught.
That’s the spirit! :rave:

Yes, university during lockdown was not easy for me either - my grades suffered a lot as well unfortunately

I am glad to hear about your progress and that positive outlook on your studies I used to thought that I would want to quit, but as I did the work, I realised that I am actually able to enjoy the content that I’m learning about and so they became a little bit less daunting than before. You still have time to sort out your study habits before your undergrad ends too, so no worries there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7%
October 2021 (116)
47.74%
November 2021 (24)
9.88%
December 2021 (32)
13.17%
January 2021 (21)
8.64%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.7%